3.73 or 3.90

MrGame

Nov 8, 2006
I want to go 3.90 but i hear motive gears whine, anyone have them on here? if they do ill get FRPP 3.73s, but I definately want gears i'm tired of the lag to get into my powerband and i drove my dad's M35x which has a short final drive and even though it's heavy and not THAT powerful, it throws u in the seat because it revs up so quickly

• Sponsors (?)

I want to go 3.90 but i hear motive gears whine, anyone have them on here? if they do ill get FRPP 3.73s, but I definately want gears i'm tired of the lag to get into my powerband and i drove my dad's M35x which has a short final drive and even though it's heavy and not THAT powerful, it throws u in the seat because it revs up so quickly

FRPP has 4:10's, why not go that route?

Well what are you planing on doing with the car??? You going to stay N/A or move to a blower or something.

This is what is most common...

Blower/ Power adder (I.E turbo, supercharger)= 3.73's

N/A = 4.10's

Cant pick one or the other = 3.90's :rlaugh:

I have 4.10's and yes they wine, but then you get full exhaust and a nice amp and sub.... Problem Fixed :nice:

i'm getting a blower eventually and i have a 40 mile commute to school 3 days a week on the highway so i definately don't want 4.10s, the 3.90s aren't bad on the highway tough?

i'm getting a blower eventually and i have a 40 mile commute to school 3 days a week on the highway so i definately don't want 4.10s, the 3.90s aren't bad on the highway tough?

Get the 3.73's. Once you put the blower on your milage is going to take a slight dip and a little less gear might offset that. I drive about 35-40 miles round trip to school every day on the highway. A slightly lower gear is better for longer commutes IMO.

I got 3.73 a couple weeks ago and I d@mn glad I didn't get 4.10's...

my car is a DD and 40-60 mile trips are pretty normal for me...2500+rpm at highway speeds (70-75) is about all I'd want to deal with...

IMHO 4.10's are too much for a DD that sees much freeway time, and my installer HIGHLY recommend Ford gears for a quieter install

3.73s are a great all around gear to go with. I noticed a big difference in acceleration from the stock 3.27s to the 3.73s. My gas mileage seemed to stay the same. I drive about 30 miles on the highway and 10 off round trip a day. I cruise at 80mph on the highway at around 3,000 RPM. I think 3.73s are perfect but that’s just my opinion.

We have 3.90's in my son's 2000 gt. They don't whine at all. We replaced the carrier with an Auburn pro because of the weak factory limited slip, and by setting the backlash correctly, it is _still_ totally quiet...

I don't think you will have any problems with them.

My car is a DD, (automatic) and I recently installed 4.10's and I think they are perfect for my needs. I was originally thinking 3.73's but after talking to some other people I decided on the lower 4.10 ratio which gives my car a "good attitude", and it doesn't over-rev on the highway. But for some the higher 3.73's might be a better choice, or as suggested the 3.90's are in between which are made by Richmond, Strange and some others. Just have a professional install whatever ratio you get and you will not have to worry about a whining rear end.

is it bad for the motor to cruise at a higher rpm?

It depends on how much higher you're talking about, different engines have different peak efficiency RPM.

Personally I would go with 3.73's, especially if you want to make over 450rwhp later. That said, I love my 3.55's...except when roll racing Fbods and Goats...cant ever get a good RPM where the launch is gonna be fair for either of us with them damn T56's hah.

4.10's here and they are a little annoying on the highway. I made a 6 hour trip from the beach to the mountains and still got around 300 or so miles to the tank.

4.10's are great off the line, at the strip, and from a roll at lower speeds. They keep pulling all the way untill you run out of gear... and that comes QUICK. About 108 in 4th gear is the end of the line, 5th will run out for a while but its not great for racing...

Id say 3.73's for forced induction, 3.90's if you are a mad man... my freind has 4.10's in his Vortech GT and its crazy.

I had 4.10s with the way my car sits now and it was nuts, with my MT DRs the car would be allover the road at 20-30mph roll. I had to get rid of them because I was running out of gear at the track and had to let off at the 1000' mark.

I just put in 3.73s and I love them, way better on gas and I can finally do highway rolls and not have to let off at 110-115.

I have an auto and at 70mph with the 4.10s the car would be at 3k rpms, it sucked and so did my gas mileage. Now with the 3.73s Im only a hair over 2k rpms at 65mph.

I would personally throw out the 3.90's as an option and go either FRPP 3.73's or 4.10's. 4.10's are nice if you don't make alot of power and don't drive the car a long way as well as keeping it N/A, 3.73's are probably the best overall bet for the future or anything else.