3.8 liter Electric fan question

tmajikman

Nov 11, 2006
Woodstock Ga
I decided to install an electric fan into my 87 Gt. I put a 70 amp relay on it and connected it like the instructions said to. I am also running the fan on the high speed. My problem is the 20 amp fuse that I have inline from the battery keeps melting and getting the wire really hot, it does not actually pop the fuse like normal, it just melts it. I have a dc fan controller that I finally got but I am a bit worried about messing it up until I figure this out.

• Sponsors (?)

What gauge wire is the fuse on, what kind of fuse is it? If it is one of the normal size fuses that can be found in your fuse panel, those are too small for the application. That fan especially using the high side, draws a TON of amps at initial startup, and it uses a lot while it is running. Those style fuses are way too small to handle it.

You need to step up to either a maxi-fuse, or a nice tube fuse. It should be larger than 20 amps, you should go with a 40 amp maxi. Also make sure the wire is at least the same gauge as the wire coming off the fan. You don't want to run a 12 gauge wire connected to the 8(?) gauge that is on the fan, you want it the same.

Where is a good place to get the maxi fuses or mega fuses, an audi store or an auto store? You are correct about the blade type of fuse that I am using. I can not believe it did not blow, just melted. Thanks for the reply.

If you have a Delta controller, why use any fuses? The controller comes with a fusible link.

The melting can come from resistive connections.