300 rwhp?????

stangbanger01gt

Jun 10, 2005
i'm curious about what it would take to make 300rwhp on a s197 gt. i did a forum search and didn't see anythig off the bat, so i'm sorry if this is something that people ask alot! i've gotta 01 gt w/ bolt-ons right now (which i love) but i'm interested in the 05 up's. i've driven a 5spd 06 before which was bone stock and it felt pretty good. so is it easy to break the 300 mark? i know it's gotta be easier than a 2v!!!:D

• Sponsors (?)

What he said. If you're not doing forced induction, high-flow cats instead of o/r pipe will probably yield better horsepower. I think we're losing a bit on our '05 with the o/r pipe and straight-thru mufflers... but it sounds amazing.

Now just how do you figure that high-flow cats, will yield better horsepower over an off road pipe ? when even a higher flowing cat, is still never the less, considered as an air-flow restriction when compared to a straight pipe, which doesn't obstruct airflow at all. Your statement concerning the 05 losing a bit with the o/r pipe and straight-thru mufflers, not only doesn't make any logical sense ! but also goes against the laws of physics as well.. In fact, you should take a look at Brenspeed's website, in which Dynotech conducted an un-biased 3rd party dyno test, proving the Pypes off road H-pipe, produced an additional 8 HP at 5000 RPM, along with 10 additional ft. lbs. torque on the dyno. Although 8-10 HP, may not be considered as a huge gain ? it's certainly a far cry, from losing power as you previously stated.

Now just how do you figure that high-flow cats, will yield better horsepower over an off road pipe ? when even a higher flowing cat, is still never the less, considered as an air-flow restriction when compared to a straight pipe, which doesn't obstruct airflow at all. Your statement concerning the 05 losing a bit with the o/r pipe and straight-thru mufflers, not only doesn't make any logical sense ! but also goes against the laws of physics as well.. In fact, you should take a look at Brenspeed's website, in which Dynotech conducted an un-biased 3rd party dyno test, proving the Pypes off road H-pipe, produced an additional 8 HP at 5000 RPM, and 10 additional ft. lbs. torque on the dyno. Although 8-10 HP, may not be considered as a huge gain ? it's certainly a far cry, from losing power as you previously stated.

Non-FI cars need a certain amount of backpressure for good exhaust flow. When you don't have enough backpressure. You lose some power. Both torque and horsepower. To me it makes perfect sense. If you like to read go get yourself a copy of "Automath". Great read with all kinds of cool stuff concerning airflow and the such.

Non-FI cars need a certain amount of backpressure for good exhaust flow. When you don't have enough backpressure. You lose some power. Both torque and horsepower. To me it makes perfect sense. If you like to read go get yourself a copy of "Automath". Great read with all kinds of cool stuff concerning airflow and the such.

If what you posted is true ? then it appears, Brenspeed's dyno results concerning the Pypes off road H-pipe, gaining 8-10 HP is completely inaccurate huh ? :( Therefore, my question is this ? why would someone, like Brenspeed who's been in the performance industry for over 15 years, who also has a very solid reputation, all of a sudden turn around and post inaccurate info on his website ? Now that to me, doesn't make any sense at all, whatsoever.

If what you posted is true ? then it appears, Brenspeed's dyno results, concerning the Pypes off road H-pipe, gaining 8-10 HP is completely inaccurate huh ? :( Therefore, my question is this ? why would someone, like Brenspeed who's been in the performance industry for over 15 years, who also has a very sold reputation, all of a sudden turn around and post inaccurate info on his website ? Now that to me, doesn't make any sense at all, whatsoever.

You need a certain amount of backpressure. From what I gather from your post, they were just proving how much power they made from stock to off-road. Not off-road to hi-flow cat. You may gain 8-10 w/ the off-road, but maybe (I don't know so don't quote me) gain 12-15 with a hi-flow cat installed because the backpressure is there.

You need a certain amount of backpressure. From what I gather from your post, they were just proving how much power they made from stock to off-road. Not off-road to hi-flow cat. You may gain 8-10 w/ the off-road, but maybe (I don't know so don't quote me) gain 12-15 with a hi-flow cat installed because the backpressure is there.

My understanding is.. the factory cats are supposedly considered as both efficient flowing and low restrictive, to begin with ? Therefore, if an off road H-pipe is still able to gain you up to 8-10 more HP, over stock ? then what's the real benefit of installing a high-flow cat, either over an off-road H pipe, or stock ? let's assume that even if a high-flow catted pipe, may gain 12-15 HP over stock ? you're still, never the less only gaining a total of 4-5 HP, over the off road H or X pipe.. Seems to me, the additional expense for purchasing an aftermarket high-flow cat, over an off road H-pipe, doesn't really justify itself very well IMHO..:shrug:

i too, was always told that running a completely unrestrective exhaust (o/r and straight pipes out the back) will cost you in the low end if you're not running any kind of forced induction. makes sense to me... knowing about back pressure is one of the fundamental things in performance car building. maybe way up in your powerband you might gain a few extra hp but to reduce your low end power isn't worth it for me since most of my driving is traffic light to traffic light. that's why i just ordered a bassani modular x-pipe with hi flow cats. i'm going to run the high flow cats for now and once i get my blower installed down the road i'm taking them out and putting in the cat delete pipes that the kit comes with.

Being that I mostly drive my Stang on the highway, and to car shows and cruises..I definitely do NOT want to sacrifice low and mid range power, just in order to gain maybe 8-10 HP, in the higher RPM ranges only ! However, being the factory cats are considered as high efficient and low restrictive as is..Then my question is ? what's really the difference between the factory cats, over an aftermarket catted pipe ? In other words, am I better off just keeping the factory cats ? or is there a real advantage of upgrading to a high-flow catted pipe instead :shrug:

if you can get a good deal on the high flow cats than i would certainly pick them up. unfortunately i don't have any dyno numbers to back this up but there MUST be some sort of an increase over stock... i know the new stang is great from the factory in a ton of areas but I've yet to see a car that didn't make any gains from switching out the cats. i mean this is still a production car and they still have to try and make it as less polluting as possible with today high standards from not only the goverment but also the general public so I can't see the factory cats being as high flowing as aftermarket ones :shrug: i got a good deal on my bassani x-pipe with high flow cats ($215 plus $45 in shipping new in box) off of ebay so maybe you might want to try there... for that price you can't go wrong

Being that I mostly drive my Stang on the highway, and to car shows and cruises..I definitely do NOT want to sacrifice low and mid range power, just in order to gain maybe 8-10 HP, in the higher RPM ranges only ! However, being the factory cats are considered as high efficient and low restrictive as is..Then my question is ? what's really the difference between the factory cats, over an aftermarket catted pipe ? In other words, am I better off just keeping the factory cats ? or is there a real advantage of upgrading to a high-flow catted pipe instead :shrug:

The difference is...to separate your money from your wallet. These aren't the old pellet style converters from the '70's. Money best spent else where :flag:

My understanding is.. the factory cats are supposedly considered as both efficient flowing and low restrictive, to begin with ? Therefore, if an off road H-pipe is still able to gain you up to 8-10 more HP, over stock ? then what's the real benefit of installing a high-flow cat, either over an off-road H pipe, or stock ? let's assume that even if a high-flow catted pipe, may gain 12-15 HP over stock ? you're still, never the less only gaining a total of 4-5 HP, over the off road H or X pipe.. Seems to me, the additional expense for purchasing an aftermarket high-flow cat, over an off road H-pipe, doesn't really justify itself very well IMHO..:shrug:

It may not be worth the money to us, but for some people they want to keep their car legal and have a legal inspection sticker and it is worth it to them. I personally haven't had my car inspected since November 2005 so I could care less :D