302 roller with a mech. FP

NoVaEaTeR

Apr 21, 2004
I have a 87 302 roller engine i am installing in my 68 and planning on using my 68's old timing cover and mech fuel pump. will the FP ecentric bolt up to the roller cam ok? Another question, the main one, is will it throw it out of balance? i tried looking this up in past forums, but everything i found wasnt conclusive.

• Sponsors (?)

oh so the cam's timing gear could be a little thicker than an early model engine's and push the ecentric into the cover. should i get an early model timing chain? one from a 289? would it adapt ok physically and balance wise?

Well, it's one of those things that some people seem to have trouble with and some don't. The 5.0s came stock with double roller timing sets. I'd stick with it if you can. If you really want it, an early timing set is a direct swap.

None of the components you're putting on the cam are going to affect balance or timing.

After you get the eccentric installed on the cam, put a piece of clay in the timing cover and bolt it up. Remove it and check for clearance. If you can see metal through the clay where the eccentric hit, you'll have to change the cover or the timing chain.

When I bought my Rollmaster for 5.0 EFI, it came in with some info that it should not be used with eccentric. I swapped it out for another model (still Rollmaster) that was for use with eccentric. Both were doubel rollers. Sorry, I don't have a part number.