351w or dart?

rdharper02

like kicking myself in the junk
10 Year Member
May 8, 2006
I recently purchased a 1970 351 block. I couldnt pass it up for the $50 I paid. I'm trying to decide between running it or purchasing a dart block. I already have my turbo kit from HP. If I go with the 351, I'm looking at going 410 or 408. This would require a turbo upgrade and a new crossover pipe. If I go with the dart block, I'm looking at about the same cost for a 331. Dont know and cant decide. If you have any experience with an EFI 351 or dart motor, let me know.

• Sponsors (?)

I also have a 351W that I plan on making a 393 stroker n/a EFI, 185 afr's, trickflow intake and a cam that will match. I want to keep it efi to be more streetable. I paid $100 bucks for it on ebay and picked it up myself. I have yet to tear into it but it turns manually so it isn't seized. good luck with yours.

Sense you got a turbo kit already,Ill start by asking this:

How much power you want,and what kinda fuel system you got?

Oh,but I will say most likely I would suggest the 351W as more cubes is easier to make power,but more importantly torque!

5spd GT said:
Want Slower?, go the Grn92lx route...

Grn92lx's mild "little" 347 can pound alot of turbo "race" cars I have seen.Turbo's are a bitch to tune if you dont know what your doing,and alot of times will cause all kindes of problems.Plus I personaly just hate all the cluter under the hood.

And remember,Grn92lx can just put on a 250hp plate kit on in 15 mins and be going low 10's :D

bluevenom - Just remember he can strap that nitrous on and blow the stock block to bits.

Just remember his car ran 115mph.

A 331 with h/c/i to match a decent turbo will do much much quicker than the 347. I'm pretty sure you see the obviousness in that...

bluevenom: I'm debateing about the desired power output. Either way I go I will seek around 6 hundred to the wheels. My fuel system is currently stock with the exception of the included HP parts (36#, 255 pump and adjustable fuel pressure regulator). I know that I can get this to work untill the 550 range, but plan on sumping the tank and upgradeing the pump and injectors as I go (injectors upgraded based on displacement and fuel needs). I plan on purchasing a tweecer or PMS in the future. Most of the planned mods would fit with either motor. My biggest hold up is the max capability of the 351 block. I would like to stay safely below my blocks capability.

5spd GT said:
bluevenom - Just remember he can strap that nitrous on and blow the stock block to bits.

Just remember his car ran 115mph.

A 331 with h/c/i to match a decent turbo will do much much quicker than the 347. I'm pretty sure you see the obviousness in that...

Obviousness in what? IMO,if you can run the same ET at a low mph,thats effiecnt use of power....and a good hole-shot set-up.

Oh,and paying more to go the same ET as someone else just isnt impressive....

I really dont care about mph...first to the end wins.

rdharper02 said:
bluevenom: I'm debateing about the desired power output. Either way I go I will seek around 6 hundred to the wheels. My fuel system is currently stock with the exception of the included HP parts (36#, 255 pump and adjustable fuel pressure regulator). I know that I can get this to work untill the 550 range, but plan on sumping the tank and upgradeing the pump and injectors as I go (injectors upgraded based on displacement and fuel needs). I plan on purchasing a tweecer or PMS in the future. Most of the planned mods would fit with either motor. My biggest hold up is the max capability of the 351 block. I would like to stay safely below my blocks capability.

First off,your going to need a pretty strong trans to handle that.Figuer out what you want to do there.

As for your fuel system,I dont think your 255lph pump will be able to keep up to 550rwhp (motor,maybe).I would go with something like an Aeromotive A1000,sumped liek you said would be the best,but you could use a drop-down pick-up too.Injectors would probably be in the 70lbs range.

The block really depends mostly on rpms....an early 351W block with arp studs and 1/3-1/2 filled (it will run fine on the street with a good alum radiator) could hold 900hp no problems if you keep the rpm below 7000rpm.Witch you would want to anyhow,being that the 3" mains dont exatly like to be spun that high.

The rest of the motor would probably be something like an Eagle or SCAT crank with SBC diameter rod journals with a 6.20 or 6.250 H-beam rod on dished pistons with standard ring size.You would probably end up somewere in the 9-9.8:1 range depending on dish,or OTS/custom piston design.

Of course that DART will ahndle what ever you can throw at it,but IMo why limit your-self to the smaller motor? Go with a DART IE block,9.5" deck,Cleveland main and just build it up while you run your current motor.

bluevenom - He ran a 12.5 I believe...

A 331 and a turbo will demolish a N/A 347...especially with a similar "hole shot" setup.

To bad, it doesn't take turns to well...with the "hole shot setup"...example: skinnies, bushing and control arm setup,...

Assuming both have traction, from 1mph on (for example) the 331 turbo will begin to own and own hard...over a n/a 347. But of course that "hole shot" is so much more realistic on what the car's have in them....lol.