Top End Kit or Supercharger?

Well, that's an 11R kit on a 306 with 11.0:1 compression and i'm not sure what a track max cam is or if it has the specs to clear, but my guess would be it doesn't.
Also has a carb.

If you are going to go that route, you might as well just build the new engine now from the ground up.
Dont know about that. But, this is obviously just good marketing. They pulled out all the stops for this power.

The 53cc heads are probably milled too to boost the compression to 11:1. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they didn't run any accessories and got gross horsepower. Take 10% off for that.

I'll admit, though, the trackmax cam looks milder than I expected:

1000017543.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Got a link to the build? Especially interested in the cam specs and power peak. I'dwant peak power in the 5,300 range for a 5,800-6k shift point. This build with a 100-150 shot would be the perfect stock-ish combo. Easy to swap/rebuild short blocks affordably.

As to the rest of your post, when I blow Black Jack's 200k mi. short block, I want to optimize a top-end and that kind of output would be exceptional. I'm guessing this was probably milled to over 10:1 compression with maybe some flat top pistons.

TFS 11R 170s are looking pretty good to me. AFR 165s are always in the running, too.

My old AFR165 combo with an Ed Curtis special (224/228, 111LSA, .555/.560) and a lightly ported lower Cobra made ~320 and trapped 111-112 mph in a 3150 lbs car. I might just replicate that build.
That's all I found for links on Trick Flows site.

Dont know about that. But, this is obviously just good marketing. They pulled out all the stops for this power.

The 53cc heads are probably milled too to boost the compression to 11:1. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they didn't run any accessories and got gross horsepower. Take 10% off for that.

I'll admit, though, the trackmax cam looks milder than I expected:

1000017543.jpg
So 10% off 438 hp is 388.8 hp. That's not so great. That's only 44 hp over mine at 345. The supercharger is looking better and better.

So 10% off 438 hp is 388.8 hp. That's not so great. That's only 44 hp over mine at 345. The supercharger is looking better and better.
You, most definitely, should not go chasing higher NA power. There's no bang for the buck, there.

You do not have the absolute perfect F.I. combo, but you'll pay many thousands for the 40 to 50 hp you might be able to glean NA. Bang is not worth the buck. Be proud of the combo you've chosen. It's really pretty awesome to be running low 12s, NA.

Seriously, drop a 100 -150 shot on there and you'll max out the reliability of the stock block. Or, 10-12 psi from a blower. 9-10 from a turbo. etc... etc...

Reactions: 1 user
You, most definitely, should not go chasing higher NA power. There's no bang for the buck, there.

You do not have the absolute perfect F.I. combo, but you'll pay many thousands for the 40 to 50 hp you might be able to glean NA. Bang is not worth the buck. Be proud of the combo you've chosen. It's really pretty awesome to be running low 12s, NA.

Seriously, drop a 100 -150 shot on there and you'll max out the reliability of the stock block. Or, 10-12 psi from a blower. 9-10 from a turbo. etc... etc
Great point on the NA power chasing. I'm real happy with that Engine. You know how it goes in drag racing. You always want a little faster!
What do you think of the Vortech V-3 SCi ? They used it on an engine combo similar to mine and gained 96 rear wheel horsepower at 6 psi of boost. Thats a decent gain. Here's the article. https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/m...i-supercharger-mustang-5l-engine-kit-upgrade/

That's Richard Holdener! I have the books from before the internet was a good way to monetize.

Great point on the NA power chasing. I'm real happy with that Engine. You know how it goes in drag racing. You always want a little faster!
What do you think of the Vortech V-3 SCi ? They used it on an engine combo similar to mine and gained 96 rear wheel horsepower at 6 psi of boost. Thats a decent gain. Here's the article. https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/m...i-supercharger-mustang-5l-engine-kit-upgrade/
Uh... yeah, that's awesome. You probably won't need an intercooler at that level, though I would personally still do one.

I vote supercharger. Best bang for the buck to pick up power on a 5.0. I bolted on a V3 setup and brought my trap speed from 95 to 115mph...

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I've been running an old school S-Trim for years on my stockish 306. E-cam, stock E7 heads, 1.6 RR's, typhon intake, shorty headers, etc. Made like 396 rwhp at 10psi. It's just a street car so have no idea what it would do at the track.

I've been running an old school S-Trim for years on my stockish 306. E-cam, stock E7 heads, 1.6 RR's, typhon intake, shorty headers, etc. Made like 396 rwhp at 10psi. It's just a street car so have no idea what it would do at the track.
I agree supercharger for best bang for the buck.
That's some good horsepower Fri Guy! I don't think my stock bottom end would hold up with 10 psi though at WOT every weekend at the track, as Fast Driver stated in previous posts. I think the V-3 SCi would be a safe route I guess. The V-3 SCi kit alone is $3500.00. Then to do it right, add a bigger fuel pump, Upgrade ignition, upgrade EFI to something like Holley Terminator X, intercooler, bigger injectors, and NHRA SFI safety parts. The price is now up to $6000.00 at the least. For myself, I can't justify that money to drop 1 second E.T. for bracket racing. Maybe someday a Coyote swap looks like a good fit. I don't know how the coyotes hold up? For right now I'm going with Fast Drivers advice. Be happy with the combo I have. That old Ford Racing GT-40 crate engine has held up the tests of time! Thanks for all the advice!

Done right on a x crate engine with traction and driving in a 2800lb car should yield a mid 10 time slip.
You don't necessarily need the terminator x, that combo has been done forever.
Friend of mine made 513rwhp with same setup. 42lb injectors, 80mm maf high pressure 255 pump.
This car however wasn't raced and 513 is pushing it.

For my car at 2850 lbs. It would need 545 flywheel horse power to run 10.51. I don't think the stock block would hold up to that kind of horsepower. Getting the terminator x would eliminate getting it tuned every time something is changed and overall reliability and performance. The V-3 SCi would give me about 455 flywheel horsepower. Which would run about 11.23.

I'm pretty sure any modern vortech can eclipse 500rwhp unless of course they still make an A trim.
Boost levels also aren't the same on H/C/I cars as they are on stock engines.
450rwhp is a reasonable number to cap it.

Bench racing isn't going to work in this case. Guys have gone low 12's with stock heads, cam and intake.
Your time is solid for a street car, but i bet you could squeeze more out of it being a 2800lb race car.