393 oil consumption problem

• Sponsors (?)

I don't have instructions. I bought the heads used. I had the studs out while doing the valve seals cause I had to clearance the pushrod guides, and I looked down them and the holes didn't go through. I will check again anyway since I will have the rockers off anyway to check the seals.

NOTE: Use Permatex Ultrablue sealant or equivalent on the threads of the rocker arm bolts before installing. Failure to install sealant on the threads may lead to excessive oil consumption and vacuum leak.
this is out of the instruction manual on the website don't know something to look into?

Interesting. Well it can't hurt. I'll do that next time it comes apart.

This morning I went and checked the valve seals, thinking maybe they somehow got torn up again. The seals were fine, so I'm pretty much back to square one. I talked to a guy I know who works at a performance shop, and he said they had the same problem on a car, turned out to be the intake and heads weren't at exactly the same angle, and the intake gasket was leaking and sucking oil in from the valley. He said it was the same thing, no smoke at idle, thick wall you can't see through when you get on the gas, and going through oil at about the same rate. Right now I think I just need to take a break from the car for a while, so probably this weekend, when I can pull it in the shop to work on it, I'll pull the intake off and check that, and while I'm at it, put thread locker on the rocker studs.