4.0 V6

• Sponsors (?)

V6

I know it is not the pushrod 2004 Mustang V6, but the Explorer has used an OHC 4.0 V6 for several years now. I`m assuming it is the same motor the Explorer uses. Ford would be making a big deal about it if it were all new.

It's pretty much the same motor the the Explorer and Ranger use. IIRC there are some unique things for the 2005 Mustang, like the intake manifold, but you are correct it is not a new engine design.

It is the explorer 4.0, but has more changes than just the intake and exhaust manifold. They built an OHC head for that block instead of retaining the pushrod setup, so nearly everything up from shortblock up is probably a little different.

bhuff30 said:
It is the explorer 4.0, but has more changes than just the intake and exhaust manifold. They built an OHC head for that block instead of retaining the pushrod setup, so nearly everything up from shortblock up is probably a little different.

The 4.0 Explorer engine is an OHC engine. The Explorer switched to the 4.0 OHC engine several years about, around 1998 - 1999.

It is the same engine in the SOHC Ranger and Explorer, I am unsure about the Explorer but the Ranger first used the engine in 2001. I have a 2003 Ranger with this 4.0L SOHC and man it hauls. When I pass a car I down shift 2 gears and the rear squats and the nose raises up and I go right on bye. I have never driven a ranger that has power like this.