4.10's installed-wow!

seattlegt

May 3, 2006
So after much research on this Forum, I finally put in 4.10 gears in my 05 auto GT. All I can say is WOW! totaly different car. Now it feels the way it should. All I had was the Tunable Induction and 87 octane tune which was great in itself, but now...Love it!

• Sponsors (?)

Hey seattlegt, I'm from the Sunny Side of the state on the other side of the mountains. Who did you get to put in those gears, and was it a good install? By that I mean, any whine, clunks, afterward.

I might go with 3.73's. They would be good enough for me and a big enough jump from the factory ratio. But, I'm a little reluctant since I am not confident that there is anybody left in my little town (Pasco) who has experience with Mustang gears. The guy who put gears in my '96 doesn't work at the Ford dealer anymore.

When people get 3.73 or 4.10 gears installed on their mustangs they always say they can really feel a difference, or the car now feels the way it should. Could anyone elaborate on this? I know the basics behind tall and short gears and the benefits each one brings to the table.

The higher the gears, the higher the RPM's at any give speed. That means quicker acceleration and definately a more muscular feel to the car. I'll be swapping out my 3.55's for 4.10's when money permits. It basically multiplies your torque, I believe. It certainly feels that way.

Those higher ratio gears allow the engine to rev up faster and get into the rpm range where you are making more torque and more power. This is good for acceleration.

PDXStangDude, what was the name of the shop in Vancouver? That's not so far away from me, so I might consider spending the day there.

To answer the price question, about $700-$750 for most shops. There are two down here in Seattle I trust. Brad's Custom Auto and The Mustang Shop in Auburn. Go with Ford racing to avoid "noisy gears". Gears help in all the ways mentioned above. I'd say the main reason manufacturer's don't install them in the factory is they hurt gas mileage and I'm sure are other factors, like more wear on the engine over time..since you are in the higher rpm range, but that I'm guessing.

Thanks guys. I'll do some checking around. FRPP gears are indeed the best. I had them in my '96. The trick is finding a good installer with experience in Mustang differentials. I wouldn't try to go cheap on the install cost. A good install is worth it. Just save up a little longer and get it done right. You won't regret it.

About OEM ratios, Ford has to compromise on a lot of things and they are governed by a bunch of Federal laws on pollution, gas mileage, etc. They don't want to make the normal GT so that it is subject to the "gas-guzzler" tax (like the Shelby GT 500). They are designing and selling cars to the "middle of the road" customer. Not necessarily to the performance enthusiast. But, they do make it pretty easy for us to modify our Mustangs. FRPP is putting out new stuff for the '05-'06's every day.:)

I remember when I picked the car up after they were installed. I almost spun out leaving the parking lot. I was testing it out:D The smile on my face was unremovable for the next few miles.
It is the best upgrade I have put on my car thus far. It was a fairly priced mod too.:nice:

sacrstang said:
I remember when I picked the car up after they were installed. I almost spun out leaving the parking lot. I was testing it out:D QUOTE]

I'm planning on 4.10's. I also plan to go with some wider, stickier rubber on the stock 17"X8" rims so I can hook up. I have a 5-speed GT.

Do you all think 275 (the widest you can really put on an 8" rim) 45 ZR-17's, in a summer tire, would work? Maybe even 255 45 ZR-17's?

always use frpp gears, typically they are better priced and its the highest quality gear on the market. they make no noise at all when installed correctly. also dont forget to resist the temptation by beating on the car right after the install. break ur gears in by going easy for around 200 miles. at least 100 anyways lol

NorthwestGT said:
Those higher ratio gears allow the engine to rev up faster and get into the rpm range where you are making more torque and more power. This is good for acceleration.

PDXStangDude, what was the name of the shop in Vancouver? That's not so far away from me, so I might consider spending the day there.

Fast Specialties on Minnehaha IIRC.