429 in 66?

divad66

Jan 8, 2004
well i have a pretty basic question will a 429 fit into a 66 that came with a 289. i know that the 429 is a monster but will it fit and will you have to cut fender walls? thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

divad66 said:
well i have a pretty basic question will a 429 fit into a 66 that came with a 289. i know that the 429 is a monster but will it fit and will you have to cut fender walls? thanks for your help.

putting a 429 in a 65-6 requires converting to a Mii style front end and the removal of the shock towers.

I've seen a 427 stuffed into a 66 fastback without a MII suspension conversion. The guy cut most of the shock towers out and welded a flat 1/4" plate in to box them out and kept the stock suspension. The motor was still tight and he was running a tear-drop hood to clear the carbs.

I asked him how it ran and he said "it's fast as hell," so I asked, "how's it handle? He replied, "scary", then mentioned about switching to the fatman kit. I don't think that car will never handle well, but that's not what he wanted. To each his own I guess. It was a sweet looking ride, gave me some ideas of what to shoot for. Not too sure about having 4-wheel drums with that much motor.

I agree with stroking a 351 if you want big displacement. I think I have a pic of the motor and the right side shock tower. I'll try to post it later.

evilfitz said:
I've seen a 427 stuffed into a 66 fastback without a MII suspension conversion. The guy cut most of the shock towers out and welded a flat 1/4" plate in to box them out and kept the stock suspension. The motor was still tight and he was running a tear-drop hood to clear the carbs.

I asked him how it ran and he said "it's fast as hell," so I asked, "how's it handle? He replied, "scary", then mentioned about switching to the fatman kit. I don't think that car will never handle well, but that's not what he wanted. To each his own I guess. It was a sweet looking ride, gave me some ideas of what to shoot for. Not too sure about having 4-wheel drums with that much motor.

DEFINITELY you don't want 4-wheel drums with that much motor!! Front discs at a minimum, 4-wheel discs even better.

the car used to have a 351w but the owner ran it out of oil then sat it. and when i pulled it out there was plenty of room on each side ( bout an inch maybe) and the 429 is like 2 inches bigger right? so wouldnt it be pretty possible with a little cutting? the 429 motor would make the front end squat and handling woulndt be that great but thats not that big of a deal. am i right?

Don't forget to measure exhaust manifolds. You will need special motor mounts, possibly custom ones, will it clear the steering box. What about you radiator?? I added one out of a T-bird and had to use electric fans to push the air through, there is not enough room up front. I don't have to pull the motor to change plugs, but I cannot remove them if they are hot so adjusting valves is kind of tough.

Yes it will smash the front end to ground, 620s might hold it up. And mine has a wicked push, but it is fast as a greased pig.

I can try to get some measurements for you if you want.