460 in a 2005 Mustang?

Stunta

Sep 8, 2004
I am only 17, and have been a Chevy boy 'til I turned 16. I just started falling in love with Mustangs about 8 months ago. I am buying a 2005 Mustang, not sure whether it's a V6 or a GT, all I know is I sold all my cars and have $35,000 ready for the '05. Now, I was wondering how hard or easy it would be to drop a 460 in a '05? I am going to remount the battery to the trunk, and it will be carbuerated. Also, this is going to be a big horsepower engine, I am shooting for about 700-800 HP, so I will also need to "alter" the hood... Does any companies make any 2005 mustang hoods yet that I could look at?

Oh, also this has probably been asked a lot, but is there any exterior/interior differences between the V6 and the GT? Thanks :)

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

If you are going to do aserious modification liek that. There are many bigs steps you must do. 1st, the new mustang have a billit rack and pinion K-member, this should leave plenty of room for the oil pan. a few notches might be needed. Two, you will have to make all new front motor plates, mid, and back motore plates, plus you need to drill and make new motor mounts. you will need a bigger transmission to hold a 700-800 engine. I got a TKO600 in my Challenger, and that barely fits my engine. Next thing you would needed to do is mini tubb, or full tubb the back of the car (backhalf if you would), the stoc krear end would not take that kind of horepower I dont think, and the tires would burn off on a bur nout. Id sujest a ford 9in rear end, you wouldnt have a back seat, but who cares, ford back seats suck anyhow. I dunno theres alot of stuff i didnt mention i just named the 3 big things.

oh by the way you said 35k, you spent about 60 with all the work, unless you can do it yourself. not sure because of your age, but what do i know.

:flag:

I can do all the work myself, my father owns car lots so I have plenty of garage space + tools to do this kind of stuff. And I am not sure about a roll cage, yet. Thanks for the advice.

Your going to need a lot more then 35K to build that car. A 600-700hp motor alone will cost most of that. Save your money for the Cobra, etc., should have 450-500hp, modify that to get you 600-700hp.

The 460 should physically fit without too much of a problem, but as Lipid_ said that's only the start of your project. Another issue will be the electonics system. Even if you run the 460 on its own PCM, or go full retro with a carb and basic ignition, just yanking the engine out of the PCM will most likely make all the rest of the electonics cease to function.

Don't forget your new larger radiator and driveshaft.

Good luck on your project, it will be awesome but you have a lot of work ahead of you.

yea i agree with the pit crew here, there is no way to do this right, even with 35k, and all the engine parts, ur looking at 50k+ just to do it minimum and get it down the road. And thats kinda trashy looking. If you put all the energy and thought into this, why not make it look nice. I say wait for 2006 and get a SVT when they come out, thats what I am doing.

uuhh ok your 17, and you wanna drop a old big block 460...carb in a fresh, new, sporty 05. That doesnt make sense. Would be cool to see, but im not sure you wanna be the first one to do that. Trust me when I say a 700-800 HP from a Carb 460 will be alot less streetable then a Blown or Turbod Mod Motor unless you use alot of nitrous. If you really have 35k, then Id get a used 03 Cobra for 25k. Use the remaing ten grand on a KB Blower swap, great tune, and maybe if your up for it, a set of CP pistons. With a great tune youll be pushing 600+ RWHP..which is about 700 to the motor which is what u were looking for. That, is doable.

Not to mention that with such a heavy engine up front you're going to lose most of your handling ability. The car will drive awkward, I think that your best bet would be to go with a first gen mustang if you want a 460, if you just want power from a new mustang just mod the heck out of the 4.6.

I personally think you're picking the wrong car to put 700+HP in, first of all...it's a first year production of a new car...it's going to have some bugs, and as soon as you tamper with the engine that drastically, you void the warranty(which is somethin good to have). Second of all, you could get a 5.0 mustang, put 700hp and possibly have some money left over to invest, which would be the smartest thing to do for someone in your position.

Jsmiley said:
Not to mention that with such a heavy engine up front you're going to lose most of your handling ability. The car will drive awkward, I think that your best bet would be to go with a first gen mustang if you want a 460, if you just want power from a new mustang just mod the heck out of the 4.6.

Mr. Information to the recuse:

Ford 429/460 weight with accesories ALL cast iron: 720 lb.
429/460/514 FRPP crate engine with aluminum heads & intake: 610 lb.
4.6L, 3V engine, '05 Stang GT (aluiminum block & heads): 460 lb.

And as long Stunta is running up his credit card balance, he might as well order up a 514 CID, 600 HP FRPP crate engine at only $7,595 (list). It weights only about 150 lb more than the stock 4.6.

Whle Stunta would be 100+ HP short of his target, With that "cheap" Ford crate engine, he will have $$ left over for his carburator, bellhousing, racing clutch, T56 trannie, 9" rear end, radiator, custom engine mounts, front cross member modifications, custom mounts for the trannie, chassis stiffening to handle the extra HP and a custom drive-shaft. Don't forget to add new springs to the shopping list along with some wide wheels and tires.

The thought of putting a 460 (or a 514) in an 05 Mustang is an awesome idea, and it sure is fun bench building his car. But it is going to be a major undertaking.

Uhhhhh, when I was seventeen I was lucky to have $35 let alone $35K!!!!!!!
How does a kid come across that kind of dough? Am I wrong to assume from daddy?
Like someone else said, take that money and do something smart with it, daddy and / or his money may not be around forever!

I'm sorry if I sound like a dink, but how can a kid learn to appreciate anything if all the he has is given to him or her?

~Matt.