5.0 magazine

sl03gt

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Sep 29, 2003
Anybody read the new 5.0 magazine with the 4.6 bolt on dyno test? I was talking to a buddy of mine at a performance shop and he said that the gains are pretty acurate. On the dyno with a K&N the Mustang gained 3 hp and 3 lbs tourqe at peak, and lost a 1 lb of tourqe with out the snorkel and no horsepower gain. The test was done at Anderson Ford's dyno. The Bassani exhaust tested really good with a nice gain but the x pipe only gained a few horses which suprised everybody. The pullies weren't impressing but the intake plenum and new mass air meter tested good. Any feedback on this article to it being true or not? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

AFM is a well established shop in the mustang world so I would say his results are accurate and honest. I thougt it was a good article, especially for someone wanting to know "what to do next".

Yeah, it's cool because they followed in the normal steps that a person would taking to supe up their stang. My buddy said even though some stuff only added 1-3 hp at the wheels that doesn't meen that it's not worth it. Some stuff may not give a huge hp or trq gain but may allow the engine to breathe or rev faster, kinda like a cai. The hp isn't really there but your engine may rev a little quicker. If you read the article it says that the reason pulleys don't give much of a gain on the 99+ 4.6 is due to the fact that ford is getting more aggresive in their pulley ratios to give better performance which is good to know.

I've never been inpressed with bolt on power gains on the 4.6. So I went out and bought every one I could find. In the end I'm sitting around 275rwhp and 288rwtq NA. Hopefully a lower intake will come out soon to add a few more ponies!