5.0 pouring coolant

started my car up to move parking spots and as soon as i did i noticed lots and lots of fluid pouring out the bottom of my car, as soon as i realized it i tried to start it again and it struggled alot but finally started, as soon as it started i let it run for a few seconds and shut it off and looked under the car and noticed coolant leaking out from behind the passengers side motor mount and i immediatly thought it was a freeze plug leaking since the water that came out was RED :notnice: so since now i realized the car was not taken care of by the previous owner im starting to think more and more that its is a freeze plug because of the rust, can anyone help me out, btw this site kicks ass :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Have you looked at the top of the motor? It could be that one of the heater or EGR hoses popped off (both located on the passenger side). Just because its red doesn't mean its coming from a particular location... If there is rust in the coolant, it will come out with the coolant anywhere.

Also, I don't mean to point out the obvious, but... You can buy red engine coolant.

ok i ran the engine again and it only looks to be coming out from behind the motormount but ill keep looking

I hope it's not a freeze plug, those are a nightmare to deal with. Rusted freezeplugs caused the death of my '89 5.0 after 160k miles.

Double check that it's not the heater core. Those tend to go out as well. If you have a wet front passenger carpet, it's the heater core. Keep your fingers crossed that it is that.

i dont see how it could be the heater core there is no sign of moisture anywhere else in the engine bay or in the car, but if i need to replace it i'll just do it in car and in a couple weeks just pull the engine and rebuild it, its only one more thing to do to this car.

ok update i went to put more coolant in it to find the leak and i poured the first gallon then the second gallon and kep adding fluid and realized it was pouring all over the ground underneath the car and this time it wasnt even running but is still dropping from that same spot at the motor mount can anyone PLEASE help me i need the car running by sunday to bleed and test the brakes/suspension

If it's coming out by the motor mount and not out of any of your heater hoses, the drain on the firewall, the heater core, the radiator, any of the other hoses, or head gaskets, and it's down that low, it is probably 99% certain you have a bad freeze plug. which is no surprise given that the cooling system in your car has obviously not been taken care of by the previous owner. I can't think of anything else down in that area that would leak coolant but a freeze plug. Can you see the actual plug it might be or is it hidden behind the motor mount? get someone to lay under there with eye protection so they can see exactly where it's coming form while you are pouring. Make sure it's not trickling down from somewhere higher up.

yeah i was underneath when seomone pouted it in i couldnt tell if it was coming from up top or not so im going to pull out the inner fender and check one more time to make sure its not coming out from behind the freeze plug cause thats really a pain in the ass spot to change it out

If it's coming out as fast as it sounds, I would think it almost has to be a freeze plug. Cant you get up under it even it you can't see it, if you know basically where they are you should be able to get your hand in somewhere and feel it. Thats a pretty big hole to miss. I would pretty much guarantee that's what it is.