5.4l headers

redmustangt

May 14, 2009
I am doing the 5.4l swap in my mustang and I have been hearing that because of the height difference in blocks mustang long tube headers wont fit. If this is true does anyone know if long tubes from an F150 would work?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know for sure, but I do know that there isn't much room for anything with the 5.4 engine. I doubt the F150 headers would work, and think your best may be to have a custom set of headers fabbed for your car.

I am doing the 5.4l swap in my mustang and I have been hearing that because of the height difference in blocks mustang long tube headers wont fit. If this is true does anyone know if long tubes from an F150 would work?

From everything I've read- long tubes (doesn't matter mustang or f150) won't fit unless you get a custom set made. You are stuck with shorties. Which brings me to my next point.... are you sure you want to do the 5.4L swap? There is practically no gain in this swap over the 4.6L unless you plan on some significant head/cam work (or put a 4v 5.4L in).

Yeah Im doing the swap because my 4.6 crapped out on me and I picked up a new supercharged 5.4 for a good price.
If I have to have a set of headers fabbed I figure I could have a shop cut my current LTs and just make them taller.

Yeah Im doing the swap because my 4.6 crapped out on me and I picked up a new supercharged 5.4 for a good price.
If I have to have a set of headers fabbed I figure I could have a shop cut my current LTs and just make them taller.

The bigger issue is that the block is wider and the space to squeeze all that piping out gets much smaller with the 5.4 in our engine bays. I hope your shop is up to the task, I think it is going to much more than a couple simple changes to your LTs.... If you get it to work I would love to see some pictures. :nice: