5 Lug Conversion: Questions for the experts.

5LugFoxFanatic

LOVE AND PEACE!
Founding Member
I have done a 5 lug conversion using SN95 brakes. I currently run 99+ Dual Pot calipers, and I am getting very soon, the 10th anniversary Cobra front brake kit. It is the red cobra calipers, 13” Brembo Rotors, brackets and lines. I got it all for 341.00. If anyone wants the hookup on this, PM me or post here, and I can give you Steve’s number. He works for Ford and gives fat discounts, 10% over cost I think. Anyways, his name is Steve, really helpful guy and works for Tousley Ford in White Bear Lake, Minnesota. Here's my question without having to email Matt Bobbit. I have a 86, and it does not use Meric threads for the master cylinder, and is already a 2 port instead of the 3 port like the 87-93's have so I am currently using the stock booster and a 85 Lincoln Towncar MC. When I put on the 13 in Cobra's I am going to do it right. Since I already have the 2 port going, the SN95 MC should bolt into my brake lines, pending I have the right adapter fittings right? So there is no need for that 3-2 port conversion, and then all I need to do is the Booster? So, to the guys running the Cobra fronts, what MC are you using? A cobra one or the GT one? What about boosters? Same deal?
Also, I am thinking of cutting the lines, and putting the correct fittings for the MC so I don’t have to use adapter pieces.

• Sponsors (?)

Don't have all your answers.. but I'm running the Bullitt calipers F/R, '93 Cobra MC and stock booster..

Pedal feel is good and it stops very well.. (better than my '01 Cobra vert did)

wheel.jpg

cut the lines to put the right fittings on, you end up with a big stack of adapters that make it really too long.

the onyl advantage from going from the town car MC to an 93 cobra cylnder is weight change (alumium vs cast iron)

it has a 1" bore and if I am not mistaken so does the 93 cobra ( I can't really remeber what the sn95 cobras are 15/16th's comes to mind)

rember the petal feel (assuming boosters are the same) is just a ratio of mc bore to caliper bore

if you want the petal stiffer get a larger mc (SN95 gt/V6) that is what I am using.

if it is too stiff, you have two options

smaller mc bore

larger booster

either will work, but the thing that will tell you which you should do is petal travel, a system with too large will not have a long enough petal travel to have a true progressive brake system and conversly one too small will have too long of travel. a stronger booster on an overly large mc will just make it easyer to lock them up, not improving your abbility to modulate the brakes

I think you should probibly get a cobra booster if you have a cobra bore mc and calipers