5 lug wheels, we've been reading and learning, have ?

mustang2

Apr 29, 2004
NC
We posted this topic in the Mustang II.net forum also.
We have learned alot, it just seems like you can't find the rest of the information, to finish the job.

We know that you use the Granada 11" front rotors. What other parts do we need to complete the front, as in, do we need to get the Granada calipers and what else?

For the rear, we have learned we could go with the Granada or Lincoln Versailles 9", with some modification. It would be nice to have the 9" with rear disc, but not quite sure where up to that challenge, and we also understand you have to do a little something with the brake booster and master cylinder for rear disc.

Have been reading that the 8" is plenty strong to hold up to any abuse. So, if we stay with the 8" rear, what do we need to do to change it to 5 lug. Is there a 5 lug axle on any cars that would go into our 8" without any problems. Thank you, Lu

• Sponsors (?)

The boys at .net don't know how to do this?

Go figure. Timmie probably couldn't find a site to snag the information from.

I've done this swap 4 or 5 times. Both 8's and 9's. Just got another 5 lug rear to stick in the Mach.

My suggestion is to get another axle drum to drum.

Wart, no, no one has responded to the question yet at .net. Since you seem very experienced at doing this conversion, can you lead us through it.

For the front, do we need the brake calipers, and anything else to work on the Granada rotors. The rear, which car would be the best donor for this, with as little fabrication as possible. Thank you, Lu

This topic has been discussed on this forum a dozen times or more.

There is NO direct axle shaft interchange for the II. There are shafts that are the correct length, but the area where the bearing is installed is different on the II, which uses an odd size bearing nad oddball bearing retainer bolt pattern.

Possibly the BEST solution is the one that 77cobraII
used, which involves having new axles made.

As for complete rears that are close, Maverick, Granada, Mercury Monarch, '65-66 Mustang, '57 full size are all close to the correct width, thought there has been :flame: debate over perch width issues.

Granada rotors use the same bearings so they will fit MII spindles (I've got a set on my Cobra) but the overall diameter is larger, thus, your options are to either 1) turn the Granada rotors down to the MII diameter or 2) install Granada calipers as well. The mounts for the Granada calipers are different and so you go this route, you will have to use an adapter to fit them onto the MII spindles. Most hot rod shops sell the adapter plates and I've seen them also on ebay.

I'd also like to know for sure if the ranger 9" drums fit. If anyone has actually done this, please share your knowledge.

The fronts here: http://www.a351must2.atfreeweb.com/FAQs/11rotorf.htm

The rears... '65-67 V8 Mustang 8" with relocated spring perches, '57-59 Galaxy/Fairlane 9" with relocated spring perches, Lincoln Versailles 9" or Granada 8" or 9" with relocated spring perches. Even more not listed. Most of them that are the correct width have spring perches that are about .25" off from being in the correct spot on both sides. Some people have somehow gotten them to work without moving perches, but I haven't had that kind of luck.

You can also shove the axles from any of the above rear ends, 8" or 9", into the Mustang II housings. I've never done this part, but you have to get the Mustang II sized end plates on the axles, and the correct bearings. I'm told some machining is required to do it. We've also heard a lot that the Ranger was available with a 5-lug 9" diameter drum that is a correct replacement for the Mustang II drum.

You're still best off doing the whole rear-end swap since it'll give you significantly easier options to upgrade the brakes to something that matches the 11" Granada front brakes. The two good matches I've found were '65 Mustang 10" rear drums with Granada front discs with '88 Monte Carlo calipers and '59 Galaxy 11" drums with Granada Front discs, '72 Camaro calipers, and a master cylinder that I didn't document.

mustang2 said:
Wart, no, no one has responded to the question yet at .net. Since you seem very experienced at doing this conversion, can you lead us through it.

You have to be kidding me, I would rather have a root canal than offer anything to .Net.

I'm particular on the quality and honor of the people I associate with.

THE COBRAMAN said:
Possibly the BEST solution is the one that 77cobraII used, which involves having new axles made.

..... are all close to the correct width, thought there has been :flame: debate over perch width issues.

I dissagree with having axles made to fit the II housing.

I hate the tooth pick skinny axle tubes. Some people say their fine. I dissagree.

Then there's the perch design. Back in the day, when I was still beating my first II (Ahh, the ignorance of youth) I :banana: 'ed my perches.

With this latest axle it's tempting to retain the spring rubbers. This isn't going to be a power application. If I were running even a stock V8 the rubber would be gone.

The perch width issue? I'm one of the biggest proponants of perch relocation. Anything less is lazy car building.

Wart said:
I dissagree with having axles made to fit the II housing.

I hate the tooth pick skinny axle tubes. Some people say their fine. I dissagree.

I have no problem with you disagreeing, I wonder what the reasoning is, though.

It would seem that most of the people doing the conversion fall into the catagory of wanting to improve the available selection of wheels. In that context, I don't see any inherent issues in the tube diameter.

For the few who are all about seeing how quick it'll go, I would concur that replacing the entire assembly would be a better path, but if it's near stock.... :shrug:

The whole issue is, as always, that the folks new to the II scene have yet to learn that nothing is simple in IIland. Which suits me just fine :D

The biggest problem I see is that there is a lot of misinformation out there about what will work and what won't. Guess I've gotten pickier about how things are done as I've aged.

jeffnoel: How did you ever make out on the late Granada rotors?

THE COBRAMAN said:
I have no problem with you disagreeing, I wonder what the reasoning is, though.

Well, I have no problem with your agreeing I can dissagree.

LOL

I guess we're copacetic.

It would seem that most of the people doing the conversion fall into the catagory of wanting to improve the available selection of wheels. In that context, I don't see any inherent issues in the tube diameter.

Agreed. For a A&W poser the tubes aren't an issue.

For the few who are all about seeing how quick it'll go, I would concur that replacing the entire assembly would be a better path, but if it's near stock.... :shrug:

Just don't try dragging her down from triple digits too many times.

The biggest problem I see is that there is a lot of misinformation out there about what will work and what won't. Guess I've gotten pickier about how things are done as I've aged.

Same here with the age thing.

And being a aircraft mechanic I can't claim ignorance like Jr. Seenothingbutknowsitall can. And the A&P thing can make one more demanding in their standards and execution.

Pretty is nice but means nothing if she's cootie infested.

I think my biggest gripe is people who refuse to face reality of the situation. They get their heart set on a certin wheel tire combo (etc.) and , damnit!, that's the one their going to use. Doesn't matter there's a plethora of rims to choose from, this is the one they want, that's what their going to get, doesn't matter they have to do something really hinkey to get the damned things to bolt on .... to get the brakes to work they'll waller out the backing plate holes with a drill .... Must be nice to be stupid.

Helluvit is, it's just not Jr. Knowsitall doing this crap. I've seen bad bad work in national magazines. Dangerous setups, sloppy work, it use to boggle my mind. I ignore the rags anymore, I only hope their not driving on the same street as me.

Boy, this has turned into a ramble.

And I still havent answered your question, my rational behind ditching the II housing. It's got more to do with only hte tooth pick tubes and perches.

jeffnoel: How did you ever make out on the late Granada rotors?
No go on those rotors, I'm looking into late fox 5-lug rotors.

jeffnoel; Is there any problems using the late Granada rotors? We have'nt bought anything yet for this conversion, just learning right now, before we start gathering parts.

I would like to thank everyone for your comments. As COBRAMAN said, there is alot of misinformation out there, and I think that is what has got us a little confused. I believe we have got it figured out now though thanks to all of you. Lu