5 speed shifter will not engage

Only time I've seen what I think your describing is a broken shift fork and being stuck in that gear.... If rocking it got the shifter to move I would let the clutch out slowly make sure the shift lever matches the gear your in or put the shifter in neutral and see if really is.. When I had it happen on a t5 it broke in 3rd and did not want to come out of gear with the handle.... Managed to manhandle the shifter but the trans was still stuck in 3rd until I pulled it apart to fix it shift fork was in 3pcs and fubar.
When you say shift fork you are talking about the clutch fork correct?
I am thinking it could be master or slave cylinder based on what i am reading for symptoms. Here is a dumb question, where is clutch reservoir typically for these older foxbody models? I want to check the fluid level. Please do not be afraid to ridicule me if I am being dumb.
Next question, what is difficulty level of replacing either?

• Sponsors (?)

No. Shift fork is inside the trans and moves the sliders to engage the differing gears. If one breaks, it's reasonable to believe that the metal could get lodged into the teeth between engaging gears, which would lock up the trans, which is the possibility he was referencing in your case.

The clutch fork slides the throw out bearing mechanically. No hydraulic reservoir exists, because your pedal is attached to a cable that mechanically pulls the clutch fork, which slides the throw out bearing into the clutch, which releases the clutch disk and that disengages the engine from the transmission input shaft.

On hydraulic setups, such as McLeod's hydraulic TOB, there would be a reservoir that would replace the cable, the clutch fork, and TOB and replace them.

Shift forks attached to sliders (this is a modified T-5 but its the best I could do on short notice):
1687204060279.png

Shift forks attached to top cover on a T-5
1687203922023.png

Clutch fork installation:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKxNr5iYKO8

Shift forks attached to sliders (this is a modified T-5 but its the best I could do on short notice):
1687204060279.png

Shift forks attached to top cover on a T-5
1687203922023.png

Clutch fork installation:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKxNr5iYKO8

See that little lip on those two forks. Those two little pads on each are all that controls the sliders when changing gears, when a fork breaks. That little lip breaks off the forks, its just a cast part, and the slider remains engaged to the gear... Its not extremely difficult to fix but the transmission must come out and be taking apart to do so if that is your issue. Simply putting the shifter in neutral and releasing the clutch should tell you if its.stuck in gear or not. There are plenty of YouTube videos on it out there. Its a 79 with a 5spd I am assuming some one swapped a t5 in at some point and its a cable operated clutch so no slave cylinder.

Car looks decent from the pics. First year foxes in decent shape are hard to find and worth a decent amount.

From what you describe it sounds like it's something internal to the transmission ( probably a broken shift fork like stated ). I've had a t5 that was stuck in 2nd gear and it was because the detent spring inside the slider broke. It holds the detent keys that give that notch feeling when shifting in and out of gears. However, rocking the car did not get it out of gear. It didn't switch from second until I took it apart and rebuilt it.

Service manual link:

Really good series on T5 tear down, inspection, rebuild and reassembly:

Part 1:

View: https://youtu.be/XREsRG9Y1mU

Part 2:

View: https://youtu.be/mR8LetFQSoc

Part 3:

View: https://youtu.be/BhbI4c6UFiQ

You will surprise yourself at how easy these gear boxes are to work on with a few tools but I will tell you that a press will make it waaaay easier. I bought one from Harbor Freight and have used it on all kinds of crap so it was a good buy.

If you can wait until the 4th of July they will most likely have it on sale.

Reactions: 1 user
Only time I've seen what I think your describing is a broken shift fork and being stuck in that gear.... If rocking it got the shifter to move I would let the clutch out slowly make sure the shift lever matches the gear your in or put the shifter in neutral and see if really is.. When I had it happen on a t5 it broke in 3rd and did not want to come out of gear with the handle.... Managed to manhandle the shifter but the trans was still stuck in 3rd until I pulled it apart to fix it shift fork was in 3pcs and fubar.
Well it has been long time since I last checked in here. Recently I have pulled the old clutch cable and put a new one in and, lo and behold, I a driving this beast again. Hopefully it lasts but it shifted through all the gears while driving around the neighborhood so far. I have also been looking for a steering column for my tilt steering and realized yesterday, after pulling the trim off that the pin securing the locking pawl was about 90% out of position so I put that back in without the need of pulling the steering wheel.
Next up fixing the reverse switch so the lights will go on. any thoughts on this on a 79? I think it is integrated into the side of the transmission if I researched this correctly. Is there a harness that I should be able to find on the car to connect this to?