55mph steering vibration

pumm3l

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Feb 4, 2003
Somewhere out there
I recently fixed a vibration in my car that I was getting at around 1400 rpms (bad flywheel) but now I have a new vibration, was probably there all along but I didn't know realize because of the other vibration. Anyway This vibration I get at around 55 mph which is where it's worst, it starts to smooth out as I go faster, doesn't appear to be rpm related because the car is fine under that speed.

So here's what I've done so far. I've had my wheels rechecked for balance pep boys claims it should be good now, the guy scrapped off all the sticky weights and just used weights on the inside of the lip to balance it out. I threw the rear of the car up on jack stands and took it to what the car thought was 55 mph and I didn't feel the vibration, I would think if the rear wheels or driveshaft were out of balance I would of felt the vibration even with the car on the jack stands, so if that's true then that tells me it has to do with something up front? I rotated my tires and to ME if feels as if the vibration isn't as bad. all my mounts have been replaced when I was fixing the previous vibration so I should be good there. Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

when was your last aligment? how old is the tire? How is the condition of tire? Air pressure? wheel bearing? condition of your bushings? condition of front end components? Your shocks and strut? did you torque your wheel?

There are many many things that can cause those 55 to 65 mph shake. and its like one of hardest to remidy as well.
I'd start cheapest thing first tho. Your tire is balanced. thats cool. But if your tire is worn, like there is cupping and such? that'll cause shake, even tho it balance perfectly.
driveshaft balancing is cheap to do(i got mine balanced for $20).

My geo vibrate around there as well too. Got aligment, new tire and new rims, new rear shock didn't fix the probrem. Turned out that one of my wheel stud had hair line crack in it. Installed new 50 cents stud, shake no more

Does your steering wheel wobble for a second then go back to normal (wobble around 55 then at higher speed/lower speed it goes normal)? Mine is doing that. I know I need an alignment, but it's weird how it only does it at 55mph, sometimes 60. :shrug:

mity2 said:
when was your last aligment? how old is the tire? How is the condition of tire? Air pressure? wheel bearing? condition of your bushings? condition of front end components? Your shocks and strut? did you torque your wheel?

There are many many things that can cause those 55 to 65 mph shake. and its like one of hardest to remidy as well.
I'd start cheapest thing first tho. Your tire is balanced. thats cool. But if your tire is worn, like there is cupping and such? that'll cause shake, even tho it balance perfectly.
driveshaft balancing is cheap to do(i got mine balanced for $20).

My geo vibrate around there as well too. Got aligment, new tire and new rims, new rear shock didn't fix the probrem. Turned out that one of my wheel stud had hair line crack in it. Installed new 50 cents stud, shake no more

Tires are about a month old
had the alignment done like 2 weeks ago
tire pressure set at 29psi
wheel bearing (how can I check these?)
condition of your bushings (again not sure how to check these)
condition of front end components - meaning what?
Your shocks and strut - have i have stock shocks & struts with about 75,000 miles on em
no I don't torque the wheels.

as for the tires I checked them when I rotated for flat spots and cupping and they all seemed okay.

one thing I'm thinking it could be is a rotor, few months ago i needed new brakes and one rotor was messed up from the worn pad, took it to pep boys to get cut and they told me they coudn't cut it because too much was already shaved off so I went and bought a cheapy to hold me over until I go to replace the brakes again which I planned to buy all new rotors, but I'm thinkin maybe this cheapo rotor is warped.

DTNODYA said:
Does your steering wheel wobble for a second then go back to normal (wobble around 55 then at higher speed/lower speed it goes normal)? Mine is doing that. I know I need an alignment, but it's weird how it only does it at 55mph, sometimes 60. :shrug:

yea under 55 I have no vibration, as I go faster the vibration starts to smooth out but you can still feel it a little.

pumm3l said:
Tires are about a month old
had the alignment done like 2 weeks ago
tire pressure set at 29psi
wheel bearing (how can I check these?)
condition of your bushings (again not sure how to check these)
condition of front end components - meaning what?
Your shocks and strut - have i have stock shocks & struts with about 75,000 miles on em
no I don't torque the wheels.

as

Bushing condition - if you see crack or deformation, its done. You should replace them Bushing is what hold many things in place. if bushing is bad or dried out, cracked and deformed, its easy to imagine things move around on speed.
Front end components meaning things like steering linkage, rack and pinion, A-arm, spindle and such.
As far as bearing goes, jack the car up and spin the wheels. if it makes noise, chances are they are shot. Or sometimes you can wiggle wheel. which means bearing is done for.
Shocks thats has 75000miles... i would say it won't hert to change them... i think most are good for about 45000~50000miles(depending on how you drive)

Whatever it is, let us know when you fix the problem, because my 97 did it, my 01 does it, and its annoying, but I know I need a good alignment, plus my front tires need replacing from bad camber, so that may be my problem, but these will all get fixed here in the next month or so.

Good luck trying to find it, I know it can be annoying.