5spd to Auto???

03MGT

May 30, 2005
Im going to be putting on a blower this spring. Im thinkg with all the power ill be making that it would be better to have an auto.. How much money would it cost do due that?? Aslo would an auto tranny from another mustang just be a direct swap????

• Sponsors (?)

Ok. Before we go any further, lets get a few things correct.

First off, if you're planning on doing this swap yourself, I have to ask are you a mechanic, and if not, have you ever done a transmission swap before ? If you don't know what you're doing, you can end up doing more harm than good. If that is the case, then it's better to let someone who knows what they're doing do it for you.

Second, if you're planning on putting a blower on the car, then what might help us help you in terms of advice is for you to tell us how much boost and power you're planning on making. If you're planning on making over 400rwhp, then you might want to look into either buying a 4r70w automatic and upgrading its internal parts, or buy a high performance 4r70w transmission from some place like Performance Automatic or Lentech Transmissions.

If you decide to upgrade a stock 4r70w, I recommend you read up on the tech articles over at www.tccoa.com Their tech articles on the 4r70w transmission are the best at supplying info. on the 4r70w automatic transmission.

Either way, you need to get a transmission cooler for that automatic, or it will not last. Also, be sure to run a good transmisison fluid through there, or it won't last either. Whatever fluid you get, make sure its at least Mercon V or superior.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

I would think a manual is stronger than an auto, I would personally do the 03/04 cobra's six speed manual. But I dont know much about tranny's so...but I do know driving one is alot more fun than an auto.

crazystang05 said:
I would think a manual is stronger than an auto, I would personally do the 03/04 cobra's six speed manual. But I dont know much about tranny's so...but I do know driving one is alot more fun than an auto.

Stock 4R70W's are quite strong although mis-use and abuse will break either type of trans. If I was getting an auto put in as a replacement it would be a built one though.

In drag racing its easier to be consistent with an auto, so an auto can become more of an advantage than a preference. As far as fun and performance, I used to think autos were not the way to go until I rode passenger in a friends heads/cam stalled auto Nova ....on the spray :eek: .

Get your blower first and see how much power you make and how well you do with the car. You may be fine with the 5 speed. If you get much over 500 rwhp, then you probably will want to consider a built automatic. A built 4R70W can get expensive. A C5 is lower cost, but you lose OD for the street. There are some other alternatives also.