64 1/2 Electrical question

tchesney

Founding Member
May 6, 2002
Union, MS
Hey, just finished rewiring a 64.5 coupe, 260 w/ generator. When you turn on the "park" lights, the turn signal indicator lights up solid, and when u actually turn the turn signals on, it blinks like it should. This is a one bulb blinker indicator. When you pull the switch all the way out, headlights on, park lights off, indicator off, like it should be. I've studied the schematic and it appears this is normal. It looks like when voltage is applied to either left or right circuit, the indicator bulb is common to both. I didn't check to see if it was coming on with the park lights when it came in, so I'm not sure. Can anyone enlighten me?

• Sponsors (?)

Hmm, after reading my post, I know of one thing I didn't check. I will see if the proper 1157 bulb is present. May be backfeeding thru a wrong bulb. The turn signal circuit should be on one filament, and the park lights on the other.

From what I read, it seems everything is working correctly. Are the parking lights dim and the turn signals bright like they should be. The blinkers share the 1 indicator light. I read your post again and still do not see a problem mentioned.

I thought he meant that the parking lights were on, since right after that he said like they should. If the indicator in the dash cluster lights up when the parking lights are on, that would lead me to believe that there is a crossed wire or maybe a bad turnsignal switch.

The bulb should be an 1157 and yes their are two filaments. One of the bulbs could also be installed backwards.

Thanks for all the tips guys! Very much appreciated. I finally figured it out. The left front housing was not getting a good ground. Fixed that and now it works like it should.

Thanks again.