64.5 Convertible "K" Code

probably easiest to do it with "Paint".
Open the picture in Paint
Go to Image menu
click on Stretch/Skew
Change horizontal and vertical % .
My camera is 7mp. I think sizing the pics down to 15 or 20% works for this place.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, I'm going to try this. here is a photo of my 65 fastback. Can you see it?

Attachments

• low res 1.JPG
    low res 1.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 154
64.5 K code Mustang

When I was a kid, my dad bought a mustang convertible for my mom. It was a very early 65... and it had a K code motor. 289 cid producing 271 HP. It had a four barrel carb and an automatic transmission. It had a generator instead of an alternator. It was blue with a light blue top. It also had a tach and clock that straddled the steering column.

It was one of the fastest cars I have ever driven... and the acceleration after the back half of the carb opened was just awesome.

Unfortunalely, we were not bright enough to keep it... :-(

Jeff Knepper

When I was a kid, my dad bought a mustang convertible for my mom. It was a very early 65... and it had a K code motor. 289 cid producing 271 HP. It had a four barrel carb and an automatic transmission. It had a generator instead of an alternator. It was blue with a light blue top. It also had a tach and clock that straddled the steering column.

It was one of the fastest cars I have ever driven... and the acceleration after the back half of the carb opened was just awesome.

Unfortunalely, we were not bright enough to keep it... :-(

Jeff Knepper

Cool story Jeff, but every history bit that I have read over the last 35 years has said that only 4 speed manuals were available in K codes until late in the 1966 model year.

Does anyone know for sure if Ford ever made a 64.5 K code? I have check around and many "experts" say it was never built. I found some info that said there was 3 months at the end of the 64.5 run that you could get a K code engine. The car has what appears to be all the proper documentation.

You need better experts. :) As you have read above, K codes appeared shortly after production began. The 289HP engine, of course, predates the Mustang by more than a year. At least one K code Mustang was built at the beginning of Mustang production, for Henry Ford II. I wouldn't strictly count that one, since it was completely loaded with options, such as leather seats, some of which were not available to the public.

Yes, but......

There were no 289HiPo/Autos before 1966? That's nothing..... there were no Mercury Cougars with 427's, unless they were part of the 1968 "GT-E" series. And none of the 427/GT-E's came with air conditioning. Those are accepted facts, with no exceptions!

EXCEPT THIS ONE

Seems that, back then, Ford was willing to do "Special Order" cars now and then. Kinda like the full-size 1968 "Country Squire" Wagon with a 428/4-speed Toploader and bucket seats with center console. (I'll let Google or Bing be your friend for that story.)
All you had to do was wave money around, ask for an order sheet, and talk to the right guy in Dearborn.

I must have missed something.... K code with leather seats? When did that come up? Actually, "The Deuce" was NOT the guy to talk to if you wanted a really "Special" order. The guy was this dude named Iacocca, and he had "something to do with how Ford was building/selling cars at the time." :rolleyes: :rlaugh:

Amazingly enough, he was in fact reachable by the general car-buying public; and if you came up with an order (the station wagon with the 428/toplader combo, or the 427 side-oiler in a standard Cougar with A/C) that caught his interest, just about anything could be done. He just said "Do it!"

I'd bet all the extra stuff on HF II's Mustang was more Iacocca's doing; 'The Deuce' wasn't all that interested in the mechanics of building cars, just the financial and personal perks of being his grandfather's grandson and Chairman of the Board..... that's why the Ford family hired Iacocca to direct the building and selling of their cars.

My first car was a hand-me-down from my dad. It was an early 1965 K code red with white interior convertible 4 speed.

My dad was a police officer for Dodge City when he ordered this mustang brand new to be used as his off duty police car. That is why he ordered it with the HiPo. I got it in 1972 and drove it for 2 years. Ran very well. I can remember blowing the doors off a beefed up Nova back then.

The sad part is I joined the military in 1974 and sent back $80 to have a new clutch put in it as I blew it before joining the army. My parents talked me in to buying a new car instead(1974 maverick) and when I got home on leave they had sold the mustang to some guy for $50. I tried to run it down later but heard he pulled the motor out and put it in a Bronco.

Now that's sad. I heard many such stories before I joined the Service. My first boss had, in 1958, a 57 Chevy Bel Air Convertible, red with red & white interior, 4-speed, and factory Fuel Injection. Sold it when he joined the Army. Told me he'd give every car he'd owned since to have it back. When I went on active duty, my 66 Mustang went with me.

65FBE2-

would you please send me any contact info you have for the owner of this 64.5 convert ? or for his son who you mentioned lives closer to you and is a pilot ? i've been looking for an early k-code convert for a long, long time and would like to find out if its still available and what other interesting cars he has in case its been sold...you wrote he had 50 cars, quite a collection.

thanks for your help-
Dan
[email protected]