65 fastback project w/pics

scottspence9

Aug 16, 2006
hello everyone

So im pretty new to the forum but have been reading alot of the posts and thought i would put my project on here. Im building my car as a drag car and i have been having a few problems just wanted to see if i could get some good ideas form here. I just installed my 408 and put mustangII
suspension up front but now its time to do so of the body work. My bigest problem is I need a Hood. Im looking for a cowl hood but am unable to find what the actual measurements are of the cowl I have some clearence issues. Also I am going to get new fenders and what headlight buckets should I get I want a really nice fit. Any knd of help on the demensions of a 3 inch cowl hood and who makes a nice one would be nice.
Feel free to ask questions about the car I just started working on it again

thanks scott
IMG_0321.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0156.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0317.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0124.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0321-1.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

iskwezm said:
I had my regulator mounted to the back fire wall a little lower then your and it wouldnt pass tech at a NHRA sanctioned track.

Yea i know that just couldnt think of a good way to mount it but i think im going to make a braket of the carb to mount it nice and clean.

What are the bracket's running in front of the radiator in the third picture for?
Oil cooler?
Where did you get the bracket that fit's over the radiator?
A 4" cowl hood should clear, but expect the worse in quality and you will not be disappointed/ reworking the glass is a given. Should be an awesome build.
:nice:

Eyeless_Seven said:
What are the bracket's running in front of the radiator in the third picture for?
Oil cooler?
Where did you get the bracket that fit's over the radiator?
A 4" cowl hood should clear, but expect the worse in quality and you will not be disappointed/ reworking the glass is a given. Should be an awesome build.
:nice:

the bracket in front of the radiator is for my transmission cooler and I made the bracket that fits over the top of the radiator its part of the mount for the electric fan.
Does anyone have any pics of what a 4" cowl hood looks like on a 65?
Thanks for the comments

67Dylan said:
That looks very clean, I LIKE IT!!

I don't see anything wrong w/the fenders or buckets now, maybe I'm missing something. I like my coupe, but man fastbacks are tits!!

The buckets are broken like they always are and both fenders have quite a bit of bondo on them which is making it difficult to fit them to my front apron. Also the headlight doors do not match the body lines of the fender at all so thats another reason I need to replace them.
Who is making good quality headlight buckets?

Here is the engine combo

408cid
71 Ford 351 block 4 bolt main conversion
scat fordged stroker crank
eagle H beam rods
Ross custom pistons 13:1 compression
Victor Sr. head custom ported with maching Super Victor intake
Shaft rocker arms
Bigs performance stage 5 950hp carb powder coated
Bullet Racing Cam Custom ground solid roller Crower roller lifters
cam specs [email protected] 278int 292ext lift .782int 740ext 110 seperation angle
MSD digital 6 ignition
MSD pro billit distributer part # 85805 for use with intake
MSD HVC II coil
MSD wires

Headers custom made by me 2" primary to 3.5 " collector

On dyno engine made 645hp at 6400rpm and 515ft at 5500rpm

I cant wait to finsih this car I have only driven it about a 100ft before the transmission lost all gears but it was a fun 100ft. Now im trying to finish all the front sheet metal and make a radiator support to get it ready to do the cage.

thanks for all the interest
scott

I bought a cowl hood from Mustang Depot that my paint and body guy said was as good a piece of aftermarket fiberglass as he'd ever seen. Good quality stuff!

Now you just need to throw a blower on that 408W...as I have done! Totally sick then...

SoCalCruising said:
Check out the carbon fiber FX/Thunderbolt style hood, too.
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=E
http://www.yearone.com/enthusiast.a...p://www.yearone.com/Articles/tech3.asp?AID=28 - scroll to bottom for pic. I like these better than cowls, but that's just me.

I've got this hood. If you need any measurements just yell. It took FOREVER to get it in and I think they might have discontinued it now...

Sadly but this is the only reason I decided to sell my 68 fastback. They only made the hood for the 65/66's.

I think i decided that im going to go with a 3 inch cowl hood and make an air cleaner assembly that will fit under it. Im just not a big fan of the teardrop hood It does look like an awsome hood on the year one car but I dont think it would look as good on my car. If anyone has a 3" cowl hood from Mustang depot the one by fiberglass specialties the measument i need is how tall the hood is 25" from the back of the hood in the center this is where my air cleaner is the tallest.