66 acceleration issues (NEWB!!!)

HeroDreamer

Apr 25, 2009
Hi guys,

I'm an owner of a 1966 V-8 Mustang Coupe who really doesn't do much with cars. Don't get me wrong, I love them which is why I bought this but I'm not much of a gear head...I just want to be =). I picked her up in December and after a new battery and alternator have enjoyed driving her around with just a few issues. Unfortunately, about two weeks ago, the acceleration crapped out as I was leaving a drive through. I could get her up to about 20mph but it was really shaky. I limped her home and parked her as I started asking around about it. A week later on a whim I started her up and she drove just fine again. Within a few days though I sat in another drivethru for about 5 minutes and sure enough the problem came back. I can drive her and get up to 40 around town but something is wrong. The best I can explain it is a hiccup every go-round. I just put in new plugs about a month ago and checked them out again today and they look fine.

I'm sorry if this doesn't really make much sense...I really don't speak the lingo well. My intentions with this car are to never pay somebody to do something I can do with a book, some patience and maybe some advice.

I'm sure some more information may be needed before advice is offered so let me know.

Thanks!

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

Would that cause the problem intermittently? It seems strange that the problem would arise...disappear after sitting for a few days then reappear. Any advice for testing your theory?

Have you performed an inspection of the ignition components? These cars are getting older all the time. If you are still working with the original wires, they are hard, brittle, and cracked.

I apprciate the desire to fix the car on your own, but you forgot to mention one other important asset besides a book and desire, which is tools.

Do you have a timing light and a vacuum gauge? A Sears suitcase of tools and timing light and vacuum gauge will be a HUGE help for you in this endeavor.

Also, are you planning on a prefect restoration, or a retro daily driver? If you aren't worried about show room perfect, now is a good time to upgrade the points style ignition to a modern electronic. I like the Ford duraspark distributor and ignition module, others will have different opinions.

Also, your vacuum lines are probably cracked as well, which can affect timing as well.
Go do a 'wiggle' test on your wires and vacuum lines and see what looks like crap, and replace those bits and pieces.....