66 Fastback help

I need some help planning a basic system for my car. There's room for either one 4x10 dual voice coil or two 3 1/2 speakers in the dash in a custom bracket like this:
M18808Astd.jpg

There isn't enough room between the clutch pedal and the kick panel for speakers there or that would be perfect.

I can replace the trapdoor in the back with one that has a spot for two 6x9s. (I stole this pic from mustbreel - thanks man!)
rearshelf.jpg

I don't necessarily NEED a sub, and I'm hoping if I power the 6x9s with an amp I can get by without one. I'm planning on putting a DIN sized radio in a plastic housing under the dash - attached to the trans tunnel.
Housing.gif

I'm open to whatever brand components you guys think would work best. I listen to rock mostly but like everyone now I'll listen to anything good.

Thanks all for any help you can give.

• Sponsors (?)

Where did you get that plastic housing? I have thought of putting the stereo in that same place, but i need to build a bracket, may be with this it could be easier.

hurt said:
Thanks man, so MB Quarts' 4" in the dash and 6x9s in the back. What about an amp and head unit, any favorites I should look into?
no no no, 3 1/2" in the dash. I mounted my stereo in the glove box. I think for the money a Pioneer unit is fine. I know people will push Alpnine as the greatest, but i have a buddy that works there and they have as many or more problems then "bargain" brands. For amps I owuld reccomend a Soundstream 5 ch. it wont take a lot of room and can run a whole system,plus i know they are pretty cheap at wholesale, so retail isnt bad..

iskwezm said:
no no no, 3 1/2" in the dash.

ok ok ok, 3 1/2" in the dash then. I was probably thinking of a conversation I had with someone else. :shrug:

Dothang67 - I did a search on underdash radio in google and it brought up several places including ebay. I might end up mounting the radio in an aftermarket console to hide it better and to put it within easy reach.