66 v8 problems

I have a 66 mustang coupe that i am converting from a 6 cyl. to a v8 302 from a 70 mustang coupe. I have the motor in the 66 but, i am having some issues with putting a rear main seal in. Of course, I drained the oil, but needless to say this was 50/50 water and oil. I know that is not a good thing. Then i can not get the oil pan off becuase it seems as if the oil pump is in the way. Does anyone have any advice on anything, because i am clueless and tired of this conversion project. All i have run into is problems. Thanks, please get back to me.

• Sponsors (?)

I am guessing that you're saying that you can't get the oil pan all the way off becuase it either hits the oil pick up, or swap bar, right? All I got for now is to unbolt the motor from the mounts, and lift it up until you have the clearence. Your intake gasket might be the cause of the water in the oil pan. I would check it before you go any futher.

-Shaun

you can either remove the brace that goes between the frame rails, raise the engine to hopefully gain clearance, or wrestle with the oil pump bolts with the pan hanging as far down as possible. Any of these 3 routes will work, I prefer to remove the crossmember though.