68 Mustang Alternator not Charging

MustangRang

Sep 15, 2004
Hello,
I have a 1968 289 that has mysteriously stopped charging. Does anyone know if this particular motor used an external voltage regulator or not?

Thanks in Advance,

MustangRang

• Sponsors (?)

MustangRang said:
Hello,
I have a 1968 289 that has mysteriously stopped charging. Does anyone know if this particular motor used an external voltage regulator or not?

Thanks in Advance,

MustangRang

My 67 has one located up by the drivers side headlamp. What steps have you taken to consider it is not charging? Have you checked the health of the battery?

Thanks for replies

Thanks for the quick respsonses. The shop did the usual electrical checking on the battery - battery is holding charge when charged externally... they put a new battery in the car - then did more testing - thats when they found the no juice from the alternator issue - then swapped out 3 alternators - none of which worked...so I am fairly sure the parts I have on the car are working ( battery and alternator).

Thanks,

MustangRang

MustangRang said:
Thanks for the quick respsonses. The shop did the usual electrical checking on the battery - battery is holding charge when charged externally... they put a new battery in the car - then did more testing - thats when they found the no juice from the alternator issue - then swapped out 3 alternators - none of which worked...so I am fairly sure the parts I have on the car are working ( battery and alternator).

Thanks,

MustangRang

that is a very simple charging system, the regulator is a rectangular black box about 3 inches by 2 1/2 inches and has a 4 wire plug on it. The large wire,( I think it's yellow) is the hot lead to the alternator, if you unplug the regulator and jump between that wire and the field wire which is 2 terminals away from the hot one,(skip one wire) if the alternator is good it will go to full charge. if you don't have a meter, just listen to the engine it will slow down when it goes to max charge. If it does, the regulator is bad.

WORTH said:
that is a very simple charging system, the regulator is a rectangular black box about 3 inches by 2 1/2 inches and has a 4 wire plug on it. The large wire,( I think it's yellow) is the hot lead to the alternator, if you unplug the regulator and jump between that wire and the field wire which is 2 terminals away from the hot one,(skip one wire) if the alternator is good it will go to full charge. if you don't have a meter, just listen to the engine it will slow down when it goes to max charge. If it does, the regulator is bad.

THANK YOU! I performed this test on my regulator and thank goodness my newer alternator works! Not only that, but once I plugged the regulator back in, the regulator kicked back in as well. Thanks!!