86 Fox Body Project

• Sponsors (?)

Whats a LQ or LS block split at? What kinda mileage does both engines get with an h/c/i? Sorry a sbf cant touch it

I said aftermarket. That means aftermarket blocks, too.

Fuel mileage has so much to do with the tune and the ECM that it's irrelevant to this discussion. I'm specifically talking about the engine here.

Look, you guys are either misunderstanding my point or choosing to ignore it. If engine builder "A" built a 360" SBF and engine builder "B" built a 360" LS, both engines designed to be hydraulic roller, run on pump gas and peak around 6500RPM, both will do just that, make similar power and have similar operating characteristics. The LS won't somehow be magically better just because it's an LS.

In the end it comes down to whether or not you know what the hell you're doing and whether or not you have the budget to get there.

Look, you guys are either misunderstanding my point or choosing to ignore it. If engine builder "A" built a 360" SBF and engine builder "B" built a 360" LS, both engines designed to be hydraulic roller, run on pump gas and peak around 6500RPM, both will do just that, make similar power and have similar operating characteristics. The LS won't somehow be magically better just because it's an LS.

In that scenero the LS would beat the ford with a stock bottom end. Its not magic, no the LS is a better motor, it has a better design, better rod to stoke ratio and is more effiecient then the SBF. If you wanted to build a 363 to make 550 hp you will need more than 6500 rpms, and its going be rowdy. My motor could not hang with a LQ4 with a cam swap,intake and L98 heads. It is sad yes, but its true.

Never been taken down by a ls engine yet :shrug:

Not to mention, it seems the select few who have owned them in here seem to stand by them more. Its hard to pry a fan away from their bias. I too am biased towards Ford.

/debate please, this lsx vs sbf chit gets old.

Never been taken down by a ls engine yet :shrug:

Not to mention, it seems the select few who have owned them in here seem to stand by them more. Its hard to pry a fan away from their bias. I too am biased towards Ford.

Oh yeah?!?! Well if you had a REAL motor it's first name would be, "LS"! :p

In that scenero the LS would beat the ford with a stock bottom end. Its not magic, no the LS is a better motor, it has a better design, better rod to stoke ratio and is more effiecient then the SBF.

Real life examples from Engine Masters 2010. And this was just the first LS and SBF results I stumbled onto browsing the website, so there could be other more valid comparisons.

426ci LS, 643hp, 600ft-lbs. That's 1.51hp/ci and 1.41ft-lb/cu.

2010 AMSOIL Engine Master's Challenge - Racing Engine Design - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

404ci SBF, 623hp and 580ft-lbs. That's 1.54hp/ci and 1.44ft-lb/ci.

2010 AMSOIL Engine Master's Challenge - Small-Block Ford - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

Both those engines make peak power at 6200 and peak torque at 4800.

I don't know how to say it any more plainly than that. If you know what the hell you're doing (and these guys do), the SBF can be built to be every bit as competitive as the LS. An engine is an engine is an engine.

God, I know, and I hate myself for it, but the "nothing beats LS" mentality really gets under my skin.

Real life examples from Engine Masters 2010. And this was just the first LS and SBF results I stumbled onto browsing the website, so there could be other more valid comparisons.

426ci LS, 643hp, 600ft-lbs. That's 1.51hp/ci and 1.41ft-lb/cu.

2010 AMSOIL Engine Master's Challenge - Racing Engine Design - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

404ci SBF, 623hp and 580ft-lbs. That's 1.54hp/ci and 1.44ft-lb/ci.

2010 AMSOIL Engine Master's Challenge - Small-Block Ford - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

Both those engines make peak power at 6200 and peak torque at 4800.

I don't know how to say it any more plainly than that. If you know what the hell you're doing (and these guys do), the SBF can be built to be every bit as competitive as the LS. An engine is an engine is an engine.

God, I know, and I hate myself for it, but the "nothing beats LS" mentality really gets under my skin.
Oh believe you me it gets under my skin more than I let off on here, but for some reason I have yet to see a convert. No one ever reasons whatsoever and thats what makes the debate worthless.

I often wonder how many people are on lsxnation touting the benefits of a ford powerplant to their peers as they drive away in their chubbys?? :shrug:

why not drop a 03-04 cobra motor in instead of an ls? i know it would cost more to get but those cobra motors make killer power and love mods. i guess im asking how does the ls compair to the 03-04 cobra stock to stock and modded to modded?

why not drop a 03-04 cobra motor in instead of an ls? i know it would cost more to get but those cobra motors make killer power and love mods. i guess im asking how does the ls compair to the 03-04 cobra stock to stock and modded to modded?

Apples to oranges really. If youre wondering just about output strictly then its an easier comparison. As the termi engine sits, you really just need a more efficient power adder and can see close to 1000 HP out of them. They dont last forever this way, but they are capable.

I dont know an exact on the LS engines, but they arent quite capable of as much without stronger components. At this point though, you will have quite a bit invested into each.

At a bolt on level, youre more than likely better with the termi engine as it easily surpasses the 500 HP mark with little done.

The lq block will hold well north of 600hp

You mean lq or ls? I am not well versed on government motors stuff. As far as blocks go, again your standard 4.6 is supposed to hold north of 800. But the supporting components arent present from the factory, unless its a termi engine which is what I was referencing.