Paint and Body 86 Mustang Doors

• Sponsors (?)

That's ironic, I'm getting ready to switch my electric doors to manual.

Like Chris was saying, it pretty much just swaps over. you'll need a few more rivets and such.

Why crank windows when the power windows work so easily?

If it is pleasant outside, push a button and the windows roll up or down to where you want them. Park the car, push one button the lock the doors and another one to roll up the windows. At no time do I have to lean over the shifter stretching to clumsily try to roll the window by hand. Plus unless you have monstrously long arms, it is almost impossible to roll the windows while you are driving.

Don't tell me weight reduction because the motor weighs all of about 2 pounds.

Last edited:

If it is pleasant outside, push a button and the windows roll up or down to where you want them. Park the car, push one button the lock the doors and another one to roll up the windows. At no time do I have to lean over the shifter stretching to clumsily try to roll the window by hand. Plus unless you have monstrously long arms, it is almost impossible to roll the windows while you are driving.

Pfft,.....Show me an old car where there is a guy driving in the dead middle of summer with the windows rolled up, visibly sweating his balls off, and I'll show you an old car where the power windows don't work so easily anymore.

#2's 86 has power windows. I've been in the drivers door three times now. Three times I've had my hands on the motors. Once was to replace the dead factory unit w/ a rebuilt piece....it died.
Next was to replace the rebuilt piece, with another rebuilt piece. It stopped working. Re-positioning the motor allowed it to work again, but now the switches are dodgy, and you gotta dick with them to get them to roll the windows down.

So that said,...here is a picture of the main ingredient that anybody needs when deciding on whether and how to deal with a pwr window mechanism in a 30+ year old door.

upload_2016-8-28_10-32-58.jpeg
upload_2016-8-28_10-32-58.jpeg

The powder to blow both doors to hell

Reactions: 1 user
Iirc, the power doors weigh less than the manual doors according to latest internet mumblings?

Why would I prefer manual Windows?

Windows stay down all the time under car cover in garage

If they are up, and I'm messing around in the car I find I want to roll them down and need to go back into house to grab keys

When I go for a ride, I usually back car out, remove sunroof and bag it and place in hatch. Rolling down the pass door not a big deal.

Less stuff to break too. Right now my pass door actuator is acting up. Given what I do with the car, I wouldn't mind manual doors, windows and mirrors.

Speaking of power mirrors, mine sounds like a dying goose when I adjust them. Any rebuild kits available? I don't want to buy repros

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I'm going with the manual because that's what my blue car already has in it. One of those little quirks about me I guess.

And yet, the guy at the yard is going to give me a tilt steering wheel and I'm going to put it in. I'm a riddle wrapped up inside an enigma:crazy:.

I have been daily driving 89 Mustangs for24 years now and only twice in that time have I had to work on the power windows. If I remember correctly, both times is was because the plastic rollers crumbled into little pieces. It cost about $8 to fix it and the part came from the Help! section of the auto parts store.

As far as electric door locks, once I figured out that a Parts Express $8 Chinese plastic actuator was the fix in 2002, I haven't had an actuator problem since. This is the second car those same cheap Chinese actuators have been in and they still work good. I have had to clean the switches and solder and shrink tube 2 connections, but that is the limit of my electric door lock problems

Reactions: 1 user