86 ttop doors

• Sponsors (?)

Some say convertible doors will work. Just went through that on an '87 LX w/T-tops. I got some mint '90 convertible doors. After getting done painting and rewired so I could get the windows up, I realized it would take too much work to get them to fit. Would have to switch the glass with the T-top door glass (The vert door glasses are about 2" short when you put them all the way up) and you would have to cut the upper portion of the T-top doors off (where the mirrors mount up) and fit and weld them to the vert doors. Not worth the trouble in my opinion. Gotta find T-top doors or work with what you got. Going off different people saying "Oh yeah, vert doors will work". I never rewired and put them on the car till I was done painting. Big mistake.

I put 87 vert doors on my 86 T-top. Had to swap out the glass and the bracket the glass is mounted to and it works great. Just be sure the vert doors have the mirror up by the a pillar and not on the door is self. Check out my sig on the last page, I did a small write up on what I did.. Haven't got any pics though, but will try to get some of the bracket I am talking about.

EMW150 said:
That's the difference. The vert doors I got had the mirrors on the door itself.

Thats the problem I had,, I looked for 6 months before I found a set. When doing the swap it looked like a regular(hatchback) window and the t-top where the same, but I didn't have a regular to compare side-by-side. But the t-top and vert window are definatley different,, compared side bye side, the vert window is shorter. And that little bracket I was refering to is bigger to make up the difference. When I did the swap I just changed the glass;,, it worked but the window would stick up out the door about 1/2" to 3/4" when rolled all the way down. That's when I figured out I had to change the bracket along with the window after some investigating... I need to find that bracket and get some pics on my site....

goldbomb79 said:
so, other than the glass not working, the 87 vert door will work as long as the mirror isn't on the door itself.

Yep....plus the moulding being different. If you have the 86 1/4 windows it will have a little mis-match on the trim by the glass, where it meets the 1/4 glass. I swapped mine out to newer 1/4 glass and that is one of the reasons I wanted newer doors....