87 5.0 wont start

• Sponsors (?)

so I have the new dizzy on order I am going to get it today at 3 pm. I have read the articles about the dizzy and pip over and over so now I have a much better understanding of this. I have one question I see the PCM tells the O2 sensors to adjust the settings of the motor for rich, lean ect I am wondering if I am missing something still???? My original issue was I had no spark so I pull the spout and I have it ok I get this My car has spark then but it still wont run does the PCM or ICM also tell the injectors to fire cause I have fuel to the shrader valve but not past??? I know the injectors are controlled electronicly!!! Cause with my spout out yes I have spark but still no fuel and my car will not run unless I get fuel to my injectors. That article is great but I never did see anything at all mentioned about injectors and fuel???? Maybe I missed it again lol maybe I am way overthinking this but I am just very intrested in finding the root issue I have learned so much about this car in the last week its amazing and I thank all of you for your help. If any one has any way to answer my above question thats great!!! Thanks have a great day guys!!!!

Pip is responsible for telling the injectors to fire as well as telling the pump to keep pumping in addition to the ignition system.

To my knowledge, the 02 sensors aren't even read until the car goes into closed loop after the warm up period. So they'd have nothing to do with a no start issue.

WOW thats crazt but makes perfect sence!!!! Listen thanks for all the help I will hoefully have it going today???? I was getting woried big time this weekend is the DREAM CRUISE in DETROIT MI. I am about 60 miles out of detroit in the country but I wanted to take my 87 convertible and my wifes 89 gt hatch down for the day!!!! this is the biggest one day car show basicaly in the world so thier are tons of amazing cars out cruising the streets for 3 days. So hopefully I can make it Saturday!!!! Thanks for the help I will post an update for thoes who have helped me. If anyone is in the area and is going let me know maybe we can meet up?

Hi guys I have the new dizzy in and it fired right up!!!!! The timing needs to be adjusted it will idle decently but when you give any throttle it wants to load up and backfire a lilttle??? But at around 2500 rpm its fine once it unloads. I took it for about an 8 mile drive and towards the end after a few adjustments with the dizzy it seems to be getter better or is this just my imagination lol........ I can not tell you how much fun that 8 mile drive was with the top down again and shifting gears. I had a light on it and the SPOUT was out and we set it at 12 degrees but then we install the SPOUT and according to this light it has advanced to like 20 degrees??? Any ideas on this? I am going to drive it to work in the am I work at a Chevrolet Dealership lol I know I know but I love these old 5.0's I hope I can get one of my guys in the back to help dial in the timing but as allways any ideas will be greatly accepted. THANK YOU TO ALL WHOM HAVE HELPED ME!!!!!! I will do my best to be of any assistance to anyone I can on this forum. TTYL

Glad you got it fixed. See, if you would have simply swapped over the wife's dizzy to start with you could have saved yourself a lot of time..

And yes, the computer will immediately increase the timing when you plug the spout in, that is normal. Also the car will drive MUCH MUCH better when you have the spout in.

ok the SPOUT is in and it seems to be running a little better. My wife said absolutely NO!!!! lol I tried I asked her many times but I think she enjoyed me waisting a week of my time every day working on it while she was able to do what she wanted every day and drive her car lol...... but now mine is back and im going to give her the pypes lol ha ha I have ordered a few bolt ons for her car so I will be doing a few small things to it. The internet is a great thing but sometimes sucks cause everyday she come home and says things like I found a set of pony rims or a cold air intake today lol but its all good. Any way your right I should have swapped way sooner but I was SCARED LOL TTYL

so I am still not happy with the timming something is not right????? to be continued on this subject...... I have a nice 3 row aluminum radiator but have no over flow tank, today I noticed that when I shut off the car after a short 10 min run while working on the timming that I have some coolant leaking from the passenger side on the firewall by like the heater core area??? I thier a relief or purge valve thier its not much at all but it seems to be just letting excess pressure out when its shut off at this location. Also if anyone has any tricks about setting the timming I have read take the spout out ect then when its set re install this has been done many times. Also is it ok to just tune it by the ear or do I have to have it set with a light so I dont ruin pistons rings ect?

Be aware that when you put the SPOUT back in its place, the computer will advance the timing several degrees. Don't worry about it, this is normal.

Setting the timing:
Paint the mark on the harmonic balancer with paint -choose 10 degrees BTC or 14 degrees BTC or something else if you have NO2 or other power adder. I try to paint TDC red, 10 degrees BTC white and 14 degrees BTC blue.

10 degrees BTC is towards the drivers side marks.

Simplified diagram of what it looks like. Not all the marks are shown for ease of viewing.

ATC ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '!' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' BTC
---------------- > Direction of Rotation as viewed standing in front of the engine.

The ' is 2 degrees.
The ! is TDC
The ' is 10 degrees BTC
Set the timing 5 marks BTC. Or if you prefer, 5 marks towards the driver's side to get 10 degrees.

To get 14 degrees, set it 7 marks BTC. Or if you prefer, 7 marks towards the driver's side to get 14 degrees.

The paint marks you make are your friends if you do it correctly. They are much easier to see that the marks machined into the harmonic balancer hub.

At this point hook up all the wires, get out the timing light. Connect timing light up to battery & #1 spark plug. Then start the engine.

Remove the SPOUT connector (do a search if you want a picture of the SPOUT connector) It is the 2 pin rectangular plug on the distributor wiring harness. Only the EFI Mustang engines have a SPOUT. If yours is not EFI, check for a SPOUT: if you don’t find one, skip any instructions regarding the SPOUT
Warning: there are only two places the SPOUT should be when you time the engine. The first place is in your pocket while you are setting the timing and the second is back in the harness when you finish. The little bugger is too easy to lose and too hard to find a replacement.

Start engine, loosen distributor hold down with a 1/2" universal socket. Shine the timing light on the marks and turn the distributor until the mark lines up with the edge of the timing pointer. Tighten down the distributor hold down bolt, Replace the SPOUT connector and you are done.

If you have a leak near your heater core then you need to fix it. That is not normal. Whether you have an overflow tank or not, the little hole near the radiator cap will let the water just go all over the place when the coolant expands. Unless you have it blocked off which is bad for your hoses and such! The water must be allowed to expand and contract naturally or leaks will develop.

I do not have that blocked so if it needs to overflow it can. The spot I am talking about on the fire wall is below the heater coil lines toward the bottom. almost down by the bellhousing area this looks like a small round plug or gromet lol I have never seen coolant leak from this area before I dont have any inside the car either we are not talking about a major blown leak here just a small deal. I have to buy a timing light and go thru the directions again I think i am close but dont want to guess so that on the books for tomarrow thanks to all have a great night!!!!!

yes that was my exact thoughts as well can I just plug it then? I have the ac compressor on at this time but it will be going away soon. I am in Michigan and its a convertible so ill be fine with out ac. Any recomendations on a timing light specfic style or kind I should buy ?