Engine '88 GT Carb'd, want to hook up MSD Box

I recently bought an '88 Mustang GT that has been converted to carburetor. It has the stock TFI distributor in it. I bought a MSD Digital 6AL and would like to hook it up in the car. Below are the things I would like to accomplish-

1.) rev limiter
2.) adjustable timing that isn't locked out like it currently is
3.) have the factory tach be functional

I don't know if all of those are possible using the MSD Digital 6AL box with the factory distributor or not. I did some searching on the internet and I read where people are saying to get a distributor out of an '85, not sure if that would help accomplish what I want to do or not.

I also found the harness below on American Muscle's site to hook up a MSD box to the factory igntion system. I'm thinking the harness wouldn't do me any good since I don't have a computer anymore but I don't know for sure.

• Sponsors (?)

Good thread on the Corral on how to wire up a TFI distributor for a carbureted car with an MSD box:

Other option is to get an MSD distributor (holy crap they have gone up in price) like this:

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Good thread on the Corral on how to wire up a TFI distributor for a carbureted car with an MSD box:

Other option is to get an MSD distributor (holy crap they have gone up in price) like this:

Thanks for the link!

If I followed that post I would be able to hookup the MSD box which would give me a rev limiter and I could hook up the factory tach to the MSD box. If I wanted rpm advanced timing I'm guessing I would probably have to buy the distributor and you are right, they are expensive!

Wanted to update the thread.

We got the car running last weekend with a junkyard gt40p engine. To my surprise, the factory tachometer worked. I thought the factory tach wouldn't work when switching to carb and getting rid of the computer but I guess I'm wrong.

My plan at this point is to get a distributor for an '85 Mustang 5.0 that way I can have vacuum and centifugal advance timing. I also plan on hooking up the MSD box so I have a rev limiter.

If anyone knows of a potential issue with that plan, please let me know.

Last edited: