Drivetrain 89 GT, Whining/whirring from trans with clutch engaged

Well, I had a really busy weekend, which included a no-start (fixed), and would have loved to get back into this today, but two things, my wiring harness that I waited two weeks for that should be the solution to my start/idle/cruise surging came on friday and is ready for install, and, last time I drove the car, out of nowhere, as if to say, 'hey, guess what? you ARE going to have to pull the tranny.' Out of nowhere, I now have a small grind going from 3-4th. Shifts fine at idle.

I have only used mercon v and dex/merc atf since I have been working on it. I have no idea what was used before I owned the car. I'm guessing the 4th gear synchro is delammed and on it's way out. Looks like at least I'm going to be in for a baby rebuild.

1. Having never worked on a trans before, with the videos and literature out there, would I be able to determine what needs replacing on my own?
2. Special tools? From what I've read: dial indicator, snap ring pliers, hydraulic press? I've only seen the hydraulic press in one of the many posts I've read?
3. Can I continue to drive skipping 4th? I have not driven since I noticed the grinding, prob only gone into 4th five or so times since noticing?
4. Best or recommended small rebuild kit. Obviously looking to keep it as cheap as possible, without needing to do this again in the near future.

• Sponsors (?)

Skipping a gear isn't going to be an issue, it'll just get annoying is all.

If it were me, I would pickup a used cheap T5 which would more then likely need a rebuild anyways and rip that a part and learn while just driving the car with its currently T5 skipping fourth and checking fluid levels

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I skip gears routinely. Most often 2nd to 4th, skipping 3rd. I like to hit second good sometimes. In town, the top of second is fast enough. Then let off and cruise in 4th

Reactions: 1 user
I found a decently cheap T5 near me out of a 95. I believe I read somewhere that the bell housing is different, but other than that, is it a direct swap? Ideally I'd like to swap the 95 in and rebuild my current trans at me leisure.