T5 Identification Advice Needed

• Sponsors (?)

Every T5 i've ever rebuilt that had a partial had it in this location on the pass side. I personally haven't seen the other location.

1710421675799.png

Ok, I think I got something:
IMG_3321.jpeg

It’s faded, but I can discern the number 32202. it looks like the last 5 out of 8 digits that are supposed to be there, can I get anything from that?

Edit: After looking at a VIN decoder chart, I don’t think I can without the 6th number, which I can’t see from this picture. I could probably get in there with a scouring pad or something after the exhaust cools down. That may reveal more numbers, but it honestly looks like there are only 5 stamped.

Last edited:
Ok, so I found a calculator on Spicer’s website because doing math by hand is for nerds and masochists, and here’s what I figured out.

According to LMR, a V8 T5’s 5th gear ratio is 0.68

According to the calculator, at 2800 RPM, with a 3.73 rear end and a 23.77 in tire height, I should have been going 78.1 mph.

I was going 60.

So I think we can come to the conclusion that whatever is in my car, it’s not rated for a V8. I’ll add it to the list.

Big thanks to KRUISR for bringing up this solution. My brain dumped everything not related to cars and my girlfriend after I switched out of engineering my freshman year, so I hadn’t thought to calculate the gear ratios.

Last edited:
How do you know your rear is 3:73?

I think I remember the guy I bought it from telling me that, but I’ll shoot him a message to see if he remembers.

Also, when I bought it the speedometer was off, so I bought a new speedometer gear that was designed to work with a 3.73 rear end. I must have been told it had a 3.73 by somebody because I definitely wouldn’t have figured that out on my own, and I wouldn’t have bought the gear unless I was sure it would work.

That being said, it still reads about 5mph fast. Not sure what that tells us, I don’t know how accurate these were from the factory.

I think I remember the guy I bought it from telling me that, but I’ll shoot him a message to see if he remembers.

Also, when I bought it the speedometer was off, so I bought a new speedometer gear that was designed to work with a 3.73 rear end. I must have been told it had a 3.73 by somebody because I definitely wouldn’t have figured that out on my own, and I wouldn’t have bought the gear unless I was sure it would work.

That being said, it still reads about 5mph fast. Not sure what that tells us, I don’t know how accurate these were from the factory.
The reason I ask is something is not adding up here.... With 3:73 in 5th OD, you should be turning alot slower erpems.....
Any pics of your wheel/tires? Wondering if they are rubber band tires.....
I am guessing you have low gears in the rear....

you can raise the rear wheels off the ground, look at the driveshaft while turning the rear wheel one turn, count how many times the driveshaft spins.
373 gears will spin three and about three quarter turns per one wheel spin.
also your 1352-065-904 is a 83-84 v 8 non world class t 5.

Correct. A 275/40/17 tire should be around 25.7" in OD. You'll have to look up the brand specs to get a more accurate number as there is some variation between manufacturers.

You’re right, I must have entered the numbers wrong. I reran the calculation and it says I should have been going 84.31 mph.

Any pics of your wheel/tires? Wondering if they are rubber band tires.....
I am guessing you have low gears in the rear....

I have this picture of the sidewall I took today:

IMG_3325.jpeg

If you need a more overall picture I can get that for you.

you can raise the rear wheels off the ground, look at the driveshaft while turning the rear wheel one turn, count how many times the driveshaft spins.
373 gears will spin three and about three quarter turns per one wheel spin.
also your 1352-065-904 is a 83-84 v 8 non world class t 5.

What would be the best way to Jack up the rear? I’ve read that some people use the bottom of the diff, and others say you should never do that, so I never really figured out how.

Also, If you do not know how many teeth are on the speedo drive gear (the one on the output shaft of the T5) then you are guessing in the dark as to what driven speedo gear (one on the end of the VSS).

Black - 6 tooth
Yellow - 7 tooth
Translucent Green/Yellow - 8 tooth

Its hard to tell the yellow from the translucent green/yellow one but with a nice LED flashlight you can. I listed the black one as that is what I changed mine to so I could run a lower tooth count driven gear as the higher tooth count gears have a tendency to strip and not be as accurate.

1710540239557.png

Last edited:
Also, If you do not know how many teeth are on the speedo drive gear (the one on the output shaft of the T5) then you are guessing in the dark as to what driven speedo gear (one on the end of the VSS).

Black - 6 tooth
Yellow - tooth
Translucent Green/Yellow - 8 tooth

Its hard to tell the yellow from the translucent green/yellow one but with a nice LED flashlight you can. I listed the black one as that is what I changed mine to so I could run a lower tooth count driven gear as the higher tooth count gears have a tendency to strip and not be as accurate.

1710540239557.png

I looked at my order history from LMR, and it seems I only ordered a red 21 tooth driven gear. It doesn’t look like I ordered a drive gear. I’ll do some more digging through my records.

I’m going to be having nightmares about gears.

No reason to have nightmares, everyone on this site is usually pretty helpful...
I reread your original post and again, you might have really low ( high ratio) rear end gears...
I had a 69 Super Bee when I was in HS with 4:10 rear gears.... Same thing with that car, you were grabbing for 2nd pretty quick.....

No reason to have nightmares, everyone on this site is usually pretty helpful...
I reread your original post and again, you might have really low ( high ratio) rear end gears...
I had a 69 Super Bee when I was in HS with 4:10 rear gears.... Same thing with that car, you were grabbing for 2nd pretty quick.....

It’s crazy to me to think that the cars that are classics today were once just regular cars that people drove to work and high school. I guess it’s probably because that car was already considered legendary by the time I was born. Was that a 383, 440 or 426?

I really wanted a big block mopar before I got my fox, I had my eye on a couple clapped out 440 c-body wagons and an Imperial coupe, but I honestly didn’t have the garage space. Those cars are enormous.

I did get in contact with the guy I bought the car from and he says he believes the car has a 3.73 rear end, but I’ll try to Jack it up this weekend and spin the wheels. That sounds like the best way to confirm without cracking the diff open.

Reactions: 1 user