9 Mpg?!?!?!

bjam2

Jun 20, 2003
Michigan
OK i'm getting between 8 and 10 mpg. I don't think thats right. My car is practically all stock with a professionally rebuild 5.0/AOD. It seems to run fine. I do practically all city driving and it is winter in michigan, but should it be this bad?

• Sponsors (?)

That seems really low, especially for a stock car. I have an SN95 (heavier) thats modded and even with mostly city driving and plenty of stomping on the fun pedal I usually don't ever see less than about 14-15mpg. Have you done a tune-up anytime lately?

bjam2 said:
OK i'm getting between 8 and 10 mpg. I don't think thats right. My car is practically all stock with a professionally rebuild 5.0/AOD. It seems to run fine. I do practically all city driving and it is winter in michigan, but should it be this bad?
Do you let your car warm up for extended amounts of time? That would drop it some but should'nt be that much. :shrug:

I don't usually let it warm up at all, cus i drive like 4 blocks to school and 5 blocks to work. Theres a lot of starting and going practically nowhere. It only has a few thousand miles on the rebuilt engine and trannie. I almost always drive it in D instead of OD cus i don't usually go fast enough to need it.

yep it is normal if u have like really bad city driving...like lots of lights and if u pull out onto main roads alot...my stang used to get 10 sometimes but usually like 11-12 or like barely 110 to a Almost tank full....and i thought it was rediculous but now im driving my sisters old car for the winter (2000 V6 camaro) and its not much better...not sure on MPG but i only get like 135-140 to a tankfull....my "city" driving is mostly on a road with alot of lights. now i go to school and am on the highway a decent amount but it really hasnt changed...i think i do TOO much BS driving lol..

what temp does your car run at??

Also you might want to have your fuel pressure checked.. I was having a ton of trouble with my gas milage b/c i had to low of fuel pressure in my fuel line( it was around 20lb) and mustangs need to be around 36-39 at idle and i think it is anywhere from 45-49 at WOT.
You could start with that and also put in some injector cleaner.

Roger