91 gt wont idle after batt went dead.

TimB91gt

Sep 4, 2011
Hello all,

I've read through a bunch of post on surging idle and i thought i read something in one of them about a man who had a similar problem to mine after he disconnected his battery to put on some headers.

Whats happened is my battery went dead cause i left the interior light on. after charging battery now when i start the car it idles good for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Then it will idle way down spit and sputter will not accept throttle and backfires through the intake. I'm lost is there something that could have happened when the battery went dead or is that just a coincidence? Should i start the surging idle checklist? Also when the car is running and spitting and sputtering it sounds like it is starving for air. Car ran good before battery went dead.

• Sponsors (?)

The computer takes 30 minutes or more of driving at 45-55 MPH before it settles out and relearns all of the sensor ranges. Do that driving first and if it doesn't smooth out, see the "Surging Idle Checklist for help with all your idle/stall problems. You can guess at the problem and throw parts at it, or you can use the checklist to help you find the problem quickly and inexpensively.

The quick and easy way to dump the codes is in there too, and all you need to do it is a paper clip! The first two posts contain all the fixes & updates. At last count there were 24 possible causes and fixes for surging idle/stall problems. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions.