91 Lx/gt Clone Has Flappy Bumper

HotRodBlack

Apr 24, 2017
So I took a look through the forums and could not find a thread on anybody putting a GT body kit on an LX car.

The previous owner of my car has done this. I gotta say, it's pretty close except for one thing...

The flappy bumper...

So I have a GT rear bumper cover with the exhaust cutouts in it, And it's just flappy. It's flimsy and Its soft and i can poke it with my fingers and it'll flex and flap.

Now, is the plastic on these parts supposed to be rigid and it's just old and warped? Or am I missing some reinforcement components that are supposed to go behind it? From what I can see, with limited body repair experience and even more limited fox body experience, the metal reinforcement is there and it's bolted on.

The bumper cover is just flimsy. The girlfriend laughs at me when she is following me.
Help me out here?

• Sponsors (?)

So I took a look through the forums and could not find a thread on anybody putting a GT body kit on an LX car.

The previous owner of my car has done this. I gotta say, it's pretty close except for one thing...

The flappy bumper...

So I have a GT rear bumper cover with the exhaust cutouts in it, And it's just flappy. It's flimsy and Its soft and i can poke it with my fingers and it'll flex and flap.

Now, is the plastic on these parts supposed to be rigid and it's just old and warped? Or am I missing some reinforcement components that are supposed to go behind it? From what I can see, with limited body repair experience and even more limited fox body experience, the metal reinforcement is there and it's bolted on.

The bumper cover is just flimsy. The girlfriend laughs at me when she is following me.
Help me out here?

I recommend a work out regimen of at least 30 crunches daily for your flappy bumper, with a 5 minute rest, followed by another 30 side planks. Before you know it, your flappy bumper will be rock hard.

Reactions: 1 users
Also with what Mike said, is it connected along the bottom middle to the bumper underneath? There should be some plastic christmas tree tabs or small bolts holding the middle down.

Maybe a picture of what you mean by flappy would be good too. GT rear bumpers are a little "soft" feeling.

Get a new girlfriend?
Seriously, I have a gt and an lx so I can compare the braces behind the covers to see if they are different although I don't think they are, maybe, I'll look and see.

Hah! Yeah maybe new gf!

But yah you are correct. It appears the previous owner slapped this gt cover over the lx brace. There are two brackets that are supposed to attach to the bottom and there are two holes a piece in each of them for push clips at the bottom of the bumper cover.

The plastic will still be soft, but it will be more stable. I think that's as good as she's gonna get! Ty for the help guys