92 stang problems

I have a 92 gt and it sputers if u get on it and if u turn on the lights it will die on u, it is a 306 stock cam, edelbrock heads gt 40 intake, stock bottom end. I pulled it out of another stang that I couldnt get a title for and it ran great then no problems or hesitations or n e thing! So i am assuming it is an electrical problem??

• Sponsors (?)

for starters check your battery at rest ( let it sit for long time or over night) and check it. a normaly charged battery should be about 12.6-12.7 volts. If it's less like say 12.4 or lower then the battery is low on charge. Then test the charging system should get 13.5-14.4 volts to be normal charging range for the alt. Problems could be a worn battery, dead cell, wiring problem from the battery to alt, bad alt or drain. If all systems check out the we will move on but from the sounds of it ( spitting under load and dying when the lights are on ) it could be battery/charging related.

If the car is drivable, go to the nearest large auto parts store. They will check your charging system for free.

If it isn't drivable, pull the alternator off the car and take it to the same auto parts store. They will check your alternator for free.

When you remove the alternator for testing, put a battery charger on the battery. The alternator will not charge if the battery voltage is too low. You should see 14 volts at a fast idle with nothing on except the engine.

What does the voltmeter show at 1200 RPM with the A/C on high? It should be at the middle mark on the stock voltmeter. If not, you still have electrical system problems.