Help! 78 II has no power to any electrical except headlights and taillights and hazards.

@JackH - Did you make any headway over the weekend? Was hoping you'd come back and tell us you've got it up and running! :cross:
hey guys, I don't want to get your hopes up too high but i think i got it to bark off a little bit! New plug wires get here thursday and I just put in new plugs on sunday. What I did was put the old module back on instead of the autozone one and it started wanting to start. It's really really weak though because three of the 6 wires are chewed up and the plugs were carbon fouled. I was pleasantly surprised that they were not oil fouled, however, probably because it's a low mile engine so the rings are good condition. I've been on the ship so it's hard getting some time but as soon as I get the wires I hope to send a video of it running. Thank you all so much for the help, I truly am grateful.

Thanks a bunch,
Jack H

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

hey guys, I don't want to get your hopes up too high but i think i got it to bark off a little bit! New plug wires get here thursday and I just put in new plugs on sunday. What I did was put the old module back on instead of the autozone one and it started wanting to start. It's really really weak though because three of the 6 wires are chewed up and the plugs were carbon fouled. I was pleasantly surprised that they were not oil fouled, however, probably because it's a low mile engine so the rings are good condition. I've been on the ship so it's hard getting some time but as soon as I get the wires I hope to send a video of it running. Thank you all so much for the help, I truly am grateful.

Thanks a bunch,
Jack H
I have gotten it running! The new plugs and wires were the final pieces of the puzzle to get it to fire. I probably need a new carburetor though because whenever I press on the throttle even the slightest bit too fast, it completely stalls out and shoots white "smoke" out of the carb with an audible pop. Or could it be valve lash since it is my understanding that these are mechanical flat tappets? Or maybe because it is WAY too rich? My Chrysler was rich but it shot black smoke through the tailpipe not white smoke through the carburetor. Anyway, I really appreciate every single piece of advice and instruction. Attached is the video of it running, no audio because I was in a phone call though. I may attach an audible video tomorrow when I get back to it.

Mustang_Running

• Hell Yeah!
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Great to hear. I suspect maybe both a carb issue and vacuum leak(s). If you have any old hoses carrying vacuum, instead of trying to find the leak, I would just replace them all. Since you have it running now, you can check the vacuum, timing, etc. good luck.

Congratulations on getting it up and running!! :cheers:

As for the throttle issue, chances are that it's not getting a shot from the accelerator pump and stalling from being too lean. I'd suspect that the pump diaphragm is rotted and not giving it the shot that it needs since it sat for a while.

The white smoke could be unburned fuel from a couple different scenarios - wasn't warm enough and the choke was closed enough to cause it to idle rich, misadjusted float level, or high fuel pressure to name a few - or a combination of any if them.

I don't think I'd worry too much about that part of it yet though, I think I'd concentrate on the lean stumble to make it drivable then go from there. I think you'd make a world of difference in it if you can pick up a carburetor rebuild kit and just replace all of the soft parts - gaskets, diaphragm, probably the needle and seat if you can.... - then be sure to reset the float and see where it is afterward.

Congratulations on getting it up and running!! :cheers:

As for the throttle issue, chances are that it's not getting a shot from the accelerator pump and stalling from being too lean. I'd suspect that the pump diaphragm is rotted and not giving it the shot that it needs since it sat for a while.

The white smoke could be unburned fuel from a couple different scenarios - wasn't warm enough and the choke was closed enough to cause it to idle rich, misadjusted float level, or high fuel pressure to name a few - or a combination of any if them.

I don't think I'd worry too much about that part of it yet though, I think I'd concentrate on the lean stumble to make it drivable then go from there. I think you'd make a world of difference in it if you can pick up a carburetor rebuild kit and just replace all of the soft parts - gaskets, diaphragm, probably the needle and seat if you can.... - then be sure to reset the float and see where it is afterward.
The accelerator pump is broken off. the open linkage on top of the carb is connected via some sort of plastic or nylon piece and that has snapped due to the age of the car and it sitting. So I know for sure the accelerator pump isn't getting the chance to actuate at all. I guess I need a new carb then. I have been looking for a while and I know 2100/2150 swaps are common. I will be eliminating all egr stuff if I get a new carb so does anyone have suggestions on whether a 2100 or 2150 would be the easiest swap? Im obviously not looking for performance, just a quick swap. Also thanks, you have been a huge help :nice:

Last edited:
You're welcome! I can't help much with what model of carb would work though. :shrug:

There are a couple guys around who know more about the V6 than I, maybe they'll chime in....

@jozsefsz - I know you're a lot more versed in the 2.8 world than I am, any suggestions?

Reactions: 1 user
Had to screenshot your video, but it looks like you've got the Cali only Variable Venturi carb..... :confused:

Just looking at different pics, I think they'll swap right in place of the variable venturi carb you have. It would make sense from a manufacturing standpoint as they would've had to cast a special manifold just for Cali cars in addition to the "special" carburetor. By having the carb mount match it would save them money. So I'd give an educated guess that it's a simple swap.

Variable Venturi carb with gasket:
1707451730697.png

2150 carburetor with gasket and EGR plate:
1707451804323.png

The gaskets look identical to me.....

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Had to screenshot your video, but it looks like you've got the Cali only Variable Venturi carb..... :confused:

Just looking at different pics, I think they'll swap right in place of the variable venturi carb you have. It would make sense from a manufacturing standpoint as they would've had to cast a special manifold just for Cali cars in addition to the "special" carburetor. By having the carb mount match it would save them money. So I'd give an educated guess that it's a simple swap.

Variable Venturi carb with gasket:
1707451730697.png

2150 carburetor with gasket and EGR plate:
1707451804323.png

The gaskets look identical to me.....
Yeah I guess I should have mentioned mine is a 2700VV which is infamous for not being the most reliable carb...I went ahead and bought a 2100 with a hassle free return so worst case is if it doesn't fit, I can send it back no problem. In the VV picture you sent, that rod that's resting on the pole on top of the bowl is the accelerator pump and the two yellow-stained plastic pieces are what broke from old age.

Updates on carb?
Pictures of the beauty?!? :cool:
Hey my bad, carb came yesterday and I can confirm a 2100 does not fit on a 2.8L. It is blocked by the EGR and valve covers. I'm in the process of returning it but I put the old one back on and it still cranked right up. It Idles nicely at ~550rpm but putting it in gear or applying throttle too fast stalls it. It's clearly a lean issue and I'm trying to figure that out. My valves are not lashed because I definitely hear lifters but I don't think that makes it too lean. Nevertheless, this weekend I have new valve cover gaskets so ill take them off and get that out of the way. I was messing with the pcv valve and it seemed that plugging it with my finger made it run more smoothly and when I removed my finger it stalled the engine. I'm not sure where to test for lean condition other then maybe buying a fuel pressure tester and running it from the line to the carb. Also maybe a jet in the carb could be clogged I guess? I don't know. Anyway here are some pics :D
78Mustang(1).jpg
78Mustang.jpg

• Ah yes, I see.  I see.
Reactions: 4 users
Wonder why you ran into clearance issues. From the pics I've seen it looked like either the 2100 or the 2150 would most likely be a direct replacement. And it seems that others have done it with no issues to speak of - at least that's my understanding from different posts in different forums I've seen....:shrug:

That is a cool ass color!

If it were mine:

Wheels, brakes, suspension, window tint, clear coat or shine juice.

I wouldn't change a thing as far as paint and body goes.

Oh, and it needs a boosted stroker and the driveline to handle it. :D

That is a cool ass color!

If it were mine:

Wheels, brakes, suspension, window tint, clear coat or shine juice.

I wouldn't change a thing as far as paint and body goes.

Oh, and it needs a boosted stroker and the driveline to handle it. :D
Yeah, I was planning on linseed oil or shine juice and some chrome 5 stars with 2" drop spindles up front. When I get back to Georgia and build my shop, i'll put a built 289 or 347 in it. I appreciate it!

Wonder why you ran into clearance issues. From the pics I've seen it looked like either the 2100 or the 2150 would most likely be a direct replacement. And it seems that others have done it with no issues to speak of - at least that's my understanding from different posts in different forums I've seen....:shrug:
I think it's meant for a small block but it gets blocked by the egr because of the fuel filter location on a 2100/50. I'm trying to figure out the surrounding air/fuel issues before replacing a potentially functional carb. also I got the accelerator pump working by zip-tying the linkage together so she does squirt fuel down the carb now

So you are one of those "patina" guys? :ack: J/K :)

Not on [every] car but c'mon... Nobody can paint Robin's Egg blue anymore and the parts that are left can be buffed to a high shine. Lightly block sand the rust and seal it.

The [grill] on that car is what makes it. :nice:

Just gotta get that "fk with me an be sorry" rumble. :D

• Haha
So these are just flat examples. Just [imagine] they have depth. :D

1707968235108.png

Now, my tastes and wheels are not typical. I like stuff that gets boo's and hisses. :D

That said, I think those are going to look very "Pimp my Ride" on your car. :shrug:

Never saw these before now but look how deep you can them. You know... Staggered wheels to fill in that rear wheel well of yours. :O_o:
1707968517466.png

1707968553024.png

These are aluminum replicas of the GT-500 wheels in 17"

1707968769008.png

Again, very flat image but you get the idea.

Same wheel with a 2" drop:
1707968879792.png

It starts to get fun now. :D

Had to try a black wheel because it looked cool :spot:
1707969262735.png

These look good too:
1707969338869.png

Attachments

• 1707969408978.png
    1707969408978.png
    682 KB · Views: 21