92 vert, auto, what can i do for lil more power

racer_inboston

Founding Member
Feb 2, 2002
boston, ma
92 vert, auto,(PIC) what can i do for lil more power

Hey guys, here's the deal, I just bought a 92 vert in mint condition 4 months aGO, i'M DONE with the looks. as far as rims, I got 17" cobra wheels. 235 front, 265 rear, mint black Paint, and black leather with 86 halo headrests. bbk offroad h-pipe and 2 chamber flows.(stock headers)

The motor is totally stock, but the owner before had a 70mm throtle body with a spacer i think BBK.
Some people are telling me that a 70mm throtle body is useless on a stock motor, and that it will actually feel like it takes too long to pick up when you step on the gas on an automatic 5.0-
Is this true? should i put the stock throtle body back on? and if so what is the size of a stock one, caus ei do have the stock one in my shed.

I really dont want to go crazy, but i would like to know what things to get first in an orderly fashion, i have a budget of about $1000 on parts to spend this yr, not more.

and if this vert was rated at 225hp, can you guys advise me or give me a ballpark figure as far as what i will get as far as power gains when i get a part? hope I'm clear, and i hope I'm not asking for too much.

tks
racer

Attachments

• jpg92vert.jpg
    jpg92vert.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Sponsors (?)

Honestly, I would sell that 70mm TB and either get a 65mm or just put the stocker back on; it certainly isn't helping you especially with the AOD. Do you have gears yet? They don't increase horsepower, but they do aid immensley in acceleration and will give you more "seat of the pants" feeling than any other modification for under $500 (besides nitrous).
Your best bet for increasing horsepower would be to upgrade to a better intake; it is by far the biggest bottleneck on a stock 5.0L engine. If you can get a good deal on a cobra or GT40 intake, that wouldn't be a bad way to go, but the edelbrock performer or trick flow street heat intake would be the preferred choice; these intakes are generally good for 20-25 flywheel HP on an otherwise stock engine. Do you have anything done as far as headers/exhaust go?

3 things to much better acceleration(not power) :D
1. Gears....you have an auto 4:10/1's at the least :nice:
2. SFCs....you have a vert, they NEED them :banana:
3. Shift kit....will help that slushbox shift like a monster :hail2:

What i did with my 1990 vert was :
3:73 gears
3000 9.5" non locking stall and shift kit
Edelbrock RPM heads and intake ported and polished and matched
crane 2040 cam
1.6 RR
70mmTB and EGR 73mm MAF BBK CAI
24 lbs injectors
underdrive pulleys
MSD digitail 6 8.5 wires and blaster coil
hardened rods
100 shot nitrous
line Loc BBK equal lenght headers H-pipe 2.5 cat backs
double roller timing chain
and other stiff i can't remember, and i'll tell you what this combo is
deadly fast and loud and i haven't even tried the nitrous.
I would start with gears shift kit and stall, then go CAI pulleys and so on. :spot:
Good luck with your setup.

myroc

Good advice from above. I'll say this... whenever you have a stock AOD you have got to modify that first! I am a fan of the AOD but you must get a Shift kit or Valvebody and a 'verter along with at least 3.55 + gears before even touching the motor.

The motor work will not be appreciated unless your getting the power through the tranny.

Rick

You need to get gears. I would go with 4.10's, they will leave a smile on your face whenever you floor it. Feels like a 60+ hp increase. They really aid in acceleration (as previosuly mentioned).

Keep in mind, that with 4.10's, the only way to have a 100% accurate speedo is to have a gear reduction box made at a speedometer shop. Mine was $180 installed.

Good luck on whatever you choose. Nice lookin vert. :nice:

Tks guys. so does everyone agree in this order: 410's for gears, then put the stock throtlebody? which is what size? then gt40 or explorer intake or edelbrock or trickflow?

and who in massachussets can do a gearbox reduction and shift kit install? tks i'll post something asking this..tks

I would go stock throttle body (60mm I believe), 4.10's, shift kit, cobra or TFS intake, ford UCA's and Maximum Motorsport LCA's, and sub frame connectors that should bring you in right around 1100 if you do all the work yourself except for the gears. but you can also sell that 70mm TB and get your $100 back..so bottom line, you'll have a grand in the whole thing and probably spank most cars on the street...I'd expect some high 13's with that setup.... Larry

I would stick to 3:73 , cause if you go with 4:10 the only way you will get good 1/4
mile times would be with slicks. Regular tires with 4:10 you will just spin spin spin.
People out here went from 3:73 to 4:10 and had a slower 1/4 mile time because of tire spin. Remember this is JMO.

Yes i see but This is not going to be a race car, I drive it to work the speed limit is 65, and i would just like better acceleration when i want it, right now it lags with the stock gears, what are hte stock gears anyway?
One more thing where do i begin to look for what is stock on my car? any website i can go that will tell me?

racer_inboston said:
Yes i see but This is not going to be a race car, I drive it to work the speed limit is 65, and i would just like better acceleration when i want it, right now it lags with the stock gears, what are hte stock gears anyway?
One more thing where do i begin to look for what is stock on my car? any website i can go that will tell me?
2:73 or 3:08 ....3:73 are a good all around gear