93 Gt Severe Smoking/coolant Consumption

Ryan Brown

Sep 25, 2017
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum but not new to fox body mustangs. I have a 93 gt with a stock bottom end, vortech charger running 15 psi, svo aluminum heads, performer 2 intake with roller valve train and a decent cam, running this combo for around 2500-3000 miles with minimal issues, one day went to the store and noticed smoke from tail pipes leaving red light, found coolant level low, this got much worse quickly. at idle can fill a 2 bay garage with smoke once warmed up and it is coolant, but no milky oil at all, tore down top end, sent heads out and checked for cracks and warps, had cut 7 thousandths and no cracked detected, 3rd cylinder back drivers side piston was clean, rest were as expected (carbon deposits and what not), installed all components with felpro top end gasket kit including bolts only to get me to the track one last time for the season (major upgraded this winter planned so didn't bother with arp hardware), got it all back together, started it up, burped coolant system and it now smokes much worse and if idles long enough, it will load up and require revving to clear up, leaves a lot of moisture under tail pipes, the same cylinder of the clean piston if I pull spark plug out after running for five minutes, steam pours out of cylinder, the other cylinders this doesn't happen, I have not done compression check or leak down test as I assumed it would just be a head gasket issue or intake gasket issue so I planned for top end redo and be good. looking for possibilities before I tear it down so if I need to check something I can.

any help is appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

the deck was not measured as I didn't have a quality straight edge at my disposal, I know assuming is a horrible thing to do but ive put many engines together, seen a lot of engines come apart that ran perfectly fine but had a deck warped so bad it had to be cut past 20 thousandths requiring piston shaving, I assumed it was just a head gasket so I addressed the top end only but obviously inspected the best I could the bottom end, saw nothing obvious, deck surface cleaned up just fine, only thing seen is the 3rd cylinder back on drivers side piston was super clean due to steam cleaning from coolant consumption. plus all the engine builders I spoke to said replace he gaskets cut the heads and slap it together so that's what I did