93 Mustang GT - Help

Treachery

Founding Member
Jun 9, 2002
I drove my Mustang to work this morning and all was well. When leaving work, the engine started to misfire and idle very badly. When idling, the car will shake and the smell of gas is present in the engine. Needless to say that my Mustang is undriveable. I can't get up to freeway speed because of the misfiring and buckling.

At first, i thought that the problem was a vacuum leak but all hoses and connections are fine. I went on to replace the fuel filter, air filter and EGR. No difference.

The distributor (Accel) and coil are ok. No problems with the electrical system.
Double checked hoses. Tested OK. Fuel Pressure at 40.

This problem came up on me rather suddenly. I'm stuck.

I try inspecting the spark plus.

Mods: Vortech Manifold & SQ-Trim SC; 75mm Mass; MAC H-pipe; recent head gasket replacement.

• Sponsors (?)

Well you said it smelled like excess fuel was being delivered into the engine. One thing to make sure is that there isn't any fuel leaking through the fuel pressure regulator. Sometimes leaking diaphragms will allow fuel to travel through the vacuum lines and add in extra fuel.

Also make sure that your EGR isn't stuck open, disconnect the vacuum line to it and hook up a vacuum pump if you have one and make sure it can go through its full range of motion.

Check the mass air also, sometimes those go batty.

If the TPS stuck at 4.5V+ it could cause the car to stumble,, but not as bad as you have described.

Sometimes the computer connections are dirty/ rare occasion

I know the Ten pin connectors have been a trouble source for mustangs also.

The biggest thing to do is to create a big vacuum leak if you are dumping too much fuel and by doing so the car would smooth out. If it get worse by creating a vacuum leak then you know you are already too lean.
(shadetree advice)

I hope this helps keep us posted on what you find!
Good Luck

hey Treachery, I noticed you said that you recently replaced a head gasket and have a Blower on your motor. Do yourself a favor and get a dyno tune and a chip burned for your car. My friend kept blowing head gaskets when he first put a blower on his car. Good luck with your problem and ttt for ya.

Matt

to check the fuel regulator, pull the vacuum hose off of it when the engine is off and smell the hose. if it smells like gas then replace the regulator.

- Replaced EGR
- Cleaned throttle body
- Cleaned MAS
- check Fuel Pressure Regular- no gas smell
- no black smoke
- YES! My Mustang is dynotuned with a JMS custom chip. (excellant chip!)

I had to have it towed to my mechanic. He did a compression check and found that there was ZERO compression on one side of the engine. That's probably why i would need to pump the gas pedal when starting it up. I got the car to idle but not after i had to increase the fuel pressure. He will disassemble the engine tomorrow and see what had happened.

This is bizzare. I drove the car normally on the freeway. I did not race or go 300 miles an hour (no.. really). There were no signs of anything wrong. Then, when i got off the freeway, it started to shake... and it died.

What would be the most probable cause of one side of an engine having zero compression. Head Gasket? Rings? Valves?