94/5 specific engine accessory question.

reddy351

10 Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
What other cars have the same low profile accessory brackets as our cars? I think someone said that all of the Thunderbirds after about 1990 with 5.0's had the same ones. Is that right? Anyone know for sure?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The 91-93 Thunderbirds have similar accessory brackets, but not identical. I have a 91 Thunderbird 5.0 in my GT (91-93 'Birds had the Cobra camshaft), and I was going to use the acc brackets until I realized they weren't quite the same. I still have the T-Bird acc brackets, but I don't have a set of 5.0 brackets off an engine to compare with.

We definitely got out intakes from the T-Birds. What saved the 94+ Mustangs from extinction was how many parts got re-used from other cars.

Are the T'bird ones low profile, as well? I have a non-Mustang application but there is very limited room between the front of the engine and the radiator. If they are also l.p., I might be interested in getting them from you. (If they are available.)

They are low-profile like the 94-95 Mustangs. The Alternator & smog pump bracket has the smog pump hooked a little closer to the engine; it's close enough that it fooled me at first.

I do still have 'em, I'll haul 'em out tomorrow and take a couple of pictures for you.

OK, photos for you. The first one is of my Mustang brackets:

cobra_brackets_raw.jpg

Next one is of the T-Bird brackets. The Alternator/Smog Pump bracket is similar but not the same. The PS/AC/Idler bracket looks identical. Also notice the alignment holes for the belt tensioner are different - a 94/95 one won't fit. Our alternator & smog pump will bolt up to the T-Bird bracket, but I couldn't tell you if they'll clear your engine.

tbird_brackets_1.jpg

Here's a side profile of the T-Bird brackets with a tape measure to give you an idea of their depth.

tbird_brackets_2.jpg

If you want 'em, PM me and we'll talk.

Actually, the T birds alternator has the mounting ears at different positions than the Mustang's. Also, the T bird has the small case 3G alternator which is a 95 Amp unit. You can get a small case with 130 amps, but it's an upgrade. You can use that alternator bracket, but like Cynthar said, you must use it's tensionor and a T bird alternator.