94/95 MAF help

Roxy89

Nov 11, 2006
Ok, so i see threads about doing the swap to the 94/95 MAF. To my understanding, the 94/95 is 70mm and my 89 is 55mm. Is this correct? So my question is what other gains, if any, are there besides it flowing better? Also, is the 94/95 a direct plug and play w/the 89, or do i need to modify the harness or wiring?

• Sponsors (?)

Youre right about the sizes. There is a gain of a few horsepower resulting from the change of MAF's.
You just plug in the connector to the sensor and its done.
You will need an adapter to get it to work with the intake.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=140053606929
For some reason the one they sell for a 3.8 is actually the right one for an '87-'93 5.0.
I just bought the adapter over the weekend and havent gotten it yet.

PJB said:
Youre right about the sizes. There is a gain of a few horsepower resulting from the change of MAF's.
You just plug in the connector to the sensor and its done.
You will need an adapter to get it to work with the intake.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=140053606929
For some reason the one they sell for a 3.8 is actually the right one for an '87-'93 5.0.
I just bought the adapter over the weekend and havent gotten it yet.

Yea I knew that I would need the adapter, so that's why I wondered if it was only a plug and play, because I might go ahead and swap them. Does the 94/95 MAF send all the correct signals to the eec? Example: spark, fuel, and all the other factors.

Roxy89 said:
Yea I knew that I would need the adapter, so that's why I wondered if it was only a plug and play, because I might go ahead and swap them. Does the 94/95 MAF send all the correct signals to the eec? Example: spark, fuel, and all the other factors.
It's plug and play. The curves are the same. ALL Ford OEM MAFs vary by ~3-5% from MAF to MAF. So, it's as "plug-and-play" and any other Ford 55mm Fox MAF or the NEW STYLE PMAS MAFs.

That's my input. I design control/response electronics for a living. I'm not going to get involved in any p****ing contests.

Roxy89 said:

False advertising-
There is NO Ford MAF that is calibrated to 19Lb injectors. Ford never calibrated the MAF to the injector. Instead Ford calibrated the MAF to the computer.

With the posts removed the MAF will flow more air, but without compensating for the increased air flow in the voltage output, the accuracy of the MAF will suffer.
If you are going to custom tune the car, and can create a custom MAF Transfer, then this meter might work. Otherwise, stay away from it.

The 80mm MAF is not a direct swap part for Fox Mustang computers.
Only the 70mm MAF, using an F2VF MAS (sensor) will work on Fox Mustangs.

In one of the dyno books (by Holdener?), a larger MAF was shown to be good for about 5-7hp, on an otherwise stock Mustang 5.0.

jason

vristang said:
I know that you and others seem to not believe me, the books, the Ford engineers, and PMAS, but....

As I've said over and over, the sensor electronics and MAF body are a matched pair. NEVER EVER swap electronics. Even from a just the electronics point of view, getting the accuracy needed without custom tuning of the electronics would have been very hard to do with 90's technology. Even today, custom tuning is required in many applications.

I know that for WHAT EVER REASON you don't believe me and the others, so I'll let others decide who to believe. The Ford engineers, PMAS, the books, and me, or people that don't do and teach this type of electronic design.

Otherwise, we seem to agree on just about everything else.
So, THAT's COOL! :)

vristang said:

I have a 1988 5.0 with the Ford Motorsport MAS update kit. I understand that the electronics and sensor should be viewed as a package so I have a stupid question. I don't know enough to know about your above noted sensor number reference. Is the F2VF sensor you are referring to the OEM sensor on the 94/95 MAS or the one with my OEM 55mm MAS?

The 94-95 sensor and the housing are a matched unit. The electronics that came with the unit must be replaced with electronics from the same year and engine.

Do not mix MAF housings with sensors from other style MAF housings.

stang&2Birds said:
I know that you and others seem to not believe me, the books, the Ford engineers, and PMAS, but....

As I've said over and over, the sensor electronics and MAF body are a matched pair. NEVER EVER swap electronics. Even from a just the electronics point of view, getting the accuracy needed without custom tuning of the electronics would have been very hard to do with 90's technology. Even today, custom tuning is required in many applications.

I know that for WHAT EVER REASON you don't believe me and the others, so I'll let others decide who to believe. The Ford engineers, PMAS, the books, and me, or people that don't do and teach this type of electronic design.

Otherwise, we seem to agree on just about everything else.
So, THAT's COOL! :)

I'm not sure we disagree on this either :shrug:

Maybe I didn't express my point clearly :nonono:
A 70mm tube with a F2VF MAS is what was standard on the 94-95 Mustangs.
Also, a 70mm tube from a 93 Cobra should work in a Fox IF an F2VF sensor is used?

Or are you saying not to swap one F2VF sensor for another F2VF sensor?
I agree that there would be some variation in the MAF/MAS output if doing this, but shouldn't the adaptive be able to compensate for that?
Maybe the error introduced here is greater than I am thinking it would be?

:shrug: