95 cobra died on the highway at 60..long crank to start again.

It happened today on the way home from work. Cruising along in 5th at 60 mph and I gave it a bit more gas and the car didn't do anything. So I pressed a little more and then it Jerked the car hard and then sputtered dead. I tried to crank it back to starting (while coasting at 60) and it took on and off about 6 tries. I could smell something like gas in the car. I drove it home and right before I got home it sputtered and stalled again, and this time when it restarted it made the most terrible noise and revved to about 2500 before settling. I parked it in my driveway for about 5 minutes and opened the hood. Nothing looked out of the ordinary and it idled fine. I have NO IDEA what this could be. I have a cap and rotor with less than 5K on it, new plugs with less than 3k on them, etc.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

PIP or TFI. Probably not a bad idea to keep one of each on-hand just for things like this. Might as well pull codes, while you're in there. Could find one that directs you exactly where you need to be.

A bad PIP/stator causes the fuel as well as the spark to shut off, so it can mimic a fuel pump problem and produce the same drops in fuel pressure as a bad fuel pump would. There's no guarantee that you'll get a code either.

my aeromotive fuel pressure regulator recently died on me, just out of the blue. i changed the stator in the dizzy and everything because i thought i was getting fuel and no spark. what finally gave it away for me after about 2 weeks of on/off working on it, i realized that i did Key on/engine off the fuel pressure would build but as soon as the pumps kicked off the pressure would bleed off just as fast when it should be holding it.

My money is on the TFI module. I've had the same problems twice over the years. It liked to cut off at intersections and while travelling 65mph. It would also have problems restarting if the engine was hot. If it behaves when the engine bay is cold then the TFI is very likely the issue.

I bought an Accel or some other named brand module 6 or 7 years ago and it doesn't seem any better. Just put another one in Spring 2007.