95 GT running bad

My 95 GT has been running poorly for quite a while, missing, bucking, dying at idle etc. can't drive it at all. I have trouble shot for any shorts in wires and checked everything I can think of. It does not pull any codes. All of this began after jump starting it. It has been a gradual process, getting worse and worse over time. Anybody have any ideas? I'm beginning to lean towards a bad computer since it pulls no codes. I'm convinced it is an electronic ignition issue vice mechanical but how do you check the computer? It is very frustrating and I know it is a simple (but probably expensive) fix.

• Sponsors (?)

I've tried everything, but I will throw one more bit of info out here. The battery checks good but something is drawing it down and after a couple of days it is dead. Is this related? Probably, but how I have no clue. Someone told me to check the alternator, whcih actually makes sense.

The puters are supposed to be able to handle a double voltage reverse polarity hook up and live through it.

Here is some info when a puter wont toss its cookies.

Good luck.

215what said:
My car did the same thing whem I first got it, come to find out it was the MAF that need'ed to be clean'ed

Yup, start with the basics.....Clean the MAF and IAT first, check plugs/wires/cap/rotor, check main battery connections (chassis grounds as well). Make sure they are making good and solid contact.)

First, does it have problems when the motor is cold, or warm, or both? What about idle, part throttle and wide open throttle?

Any black/white/blue smoke out the tailpipes?

Currently it does it all the time, cold, hot, idle, and worse as the throttle opens. I checked the ignition module and it checks fine. I checked the voltage to the ignition module and the stator, they are fine. I checked line resistance, they are fine. The thing that puzzles me is that this has been a gradual decline over 6 months. What is best for cleaning the MAF and IAT? I cleaned the MAF a couple of months ago with electonics cleaner but with no effect.

Update: Today I checked voltage and resistance on every sensor, all look fine. I unplugged the MAF and started the engine, ran the same just got a check engine light, which tells me the OBD puter is working fine, which puts me at a complete loss for what is causing this. There isn't anything else left to check.

3greenfords said:
Currently it does it all the time, cold, hot, idle, and worse as the throttle opens. I checked the ignition module and it checks fine. I checked the voltage to the ignition module and the stator, they are fine. I checked line resistance, they are fine. The thing that puzzles me is that this has been a gradual decline over 6 months. What is best for cleaning the MAF and IAT? I cleaned the MAF a couple of months ago with electonics cleaner but with no effect.

Update: Today I checked voltage and resistance on every sensor, all look fine. I unplugged the MAF and started the engine, ran the same just got a check engine light, which tells me the OBD puter is working fine, which puts me at a complete loss for what is causing this. There isn't anything else left to check.

Do a search on cleaning your MAF and IAT. THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM!!! I guarantee it!!! There are many tutorials and I don't want to clog the server with redundant info.
Scott

3greenfords said:

I went through the same thing last summer although it was only when my car was cold. It turned out that the injectors took a crap on me. Might check that just as a precaution. I replaced and/or checked every sensor and that did nothing, the injectors fixed mine though. Maybe try running some sea foam to see if that helps.

Another update after a couple of weeks. It has been to two different shops, all agree it has a random miss but nobody knows what could be causing it. Ford wanted to charge me $600 for new wires and plugs (yes that is correct) but I told them that I had already tried that route and had little luck in fixing the problem. I did change the plugs again and it acts a bit differently, it only misses when it is hot. When the engine is completely cold it runs and idles great at all RPMs. As it heats up it starts missing around 2000 RPM and the hotter it gets the lower the rpm the miss shows up until when the car is normal operating temp, the miss start around 1250 RPM. Any ideas?

...perhaps this is a mechanical problem and not an electrical one?

Is the car overheating? How does the oil look? Did you test the injectors? How about a compression test? Vacuum test? Fuel pressure test?

I'd test everything I could at this point if I were in your situation...

Quite honestly, I think that you may have engine problems. A broken piston isn't all too uncommon with our cars and would certainly lead to a miss and low power.

My point is, I'd rule out everything else before replacing the computer.