95GT vs Older model M3 (the 240hp one)

Scott_95GT

Oct 8, 2004
Sacramento
There are 2-3 of these in my area who think they are hot s**t. I know they are inline 6's at 240 hp, probably 220-240 trq. How fast are they lightly modded? I am peiceing together my exahust right now (headers, H, flows), 3:73's and torque converter coming in Nov. - Dec. I want to be able to take one of 'em from on the freeway, or off the line. How is it looking?

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, even though we have alot more torque they still have the advantage, especially from a roll and even more so if you are an auto.

Good gearing and high rpm power makes up for a lack of low end torque, look at my Acura. It has ~85lb ft less tq at the wheels than my Mustang, it weighs 200lbs more, and it traps the same.

With headers, catless y-pipe, chip, the E36 (boxy style M3's) will run low-mid 13's.

Anything can happen on the street though, and who knows how good of a driver they are. Dont race from a roll, and get some more mods. You wont get slaughtered unless they are great drivers and have a bunch of mods, but you're gonna need to throw some $$ at your car to make sure you win. :nice:

An E36 M3 5 speed, with some bolt-ons + a turbo would be so nice. They are supposedly awesome handling, even more so than the current bodystyle.

:drool:

image_1.sized.jpg

jimmysm1thumb.jpg

jimmysm7thumb.jpg

This guy's got a nice ride - http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/j/w/jwh234/m3.html

I love my Mustang and all, but something about M3's just calls out to me. They are just so clean and understated, but can be made terribly fast & badass looking. :hail2:

a buddy of mine had a 98 M3 and now he has a 03. both of them have awesome throttle response. really snaps your head back. i have never raced him, but i believe he would beat me. i might get him down low, but once he gets the rpms up, he'd leave me behind.

Newer M3s are supposed to make 330 HP at the flywheel stock. Older ones are 300? :shrug: A Mustang making 300 RWHP is making about 350 at the flywheel, so it should be able to make it a driver's race. With an HCI and gears, I believe we could give M3s a run for their money.

Hey guys those r nice cars but after 70 your done for BMW's and if your talking about the M3 then you done for top end but the bottom sucks. I got my but smacked by one at the track about 4 months ago it was not fun at all. and he only had about 1500 in to it and that about 3 mods for that car parts r so much for them. Any ways if you can stay with him man its sweet.

95_Cobra123 said:
Hey guys those r nice cars but after 70 your done for BMW's and if your talking about the M3 then you done for top end but the bottom sucks. I got my but smacked by one at the track about 4 months ago it was not fun at all. and he only had about 1500 in to it and that about 3 mods for that car parts r so much for them. Any ways if you can stay with him man its sweet.
only $1,500? what about the other $25,000 for the car itself?

i'd take mine and $20,000 any day over that. then i'd put $15,000 into a 331 with a turbo and road racing suspension. then i'd go hunt porsches, m3s, and vettes.

:nice:

Yeah, I was thinking I could probably get him off the line, but I know how those things can rev. I'll probably need a few more mods to hang in there. Oh well, anything can happen on the street. A properly geared 96+ DOHC cobra would be a better match against a modded m3 because of it's higher top end and bigger rpm range. If I give one of those a run I'll post the outcome. I'll probably lose by a bit with the mods I currently have, but we'll see.

the e36 m3's run very good. they take off a little slow on the bottom end but they rev very fast and they make their power in the midrange and excellent top end. i work in the parts department at a bmw dealership. the e36 m3 is the one from 94 thru 99 body style and i would love to have one but i'm a diehard mustang fan. stock they have 240hp and 236ft lbs of torque. a tech took one out for a drive after it was pdi'd at the dealer and at the time i had a stock 96 gt 5spd and the m3 was a 5spd and i would take him on the bottom end but he would catch me and pass me around 3rd gear and pretty much after that it was over. there is a company called dinan among others that make performance goodies for these cars and they do catbacks, cold air intakes, throttle bodies, mass airflow meters and reprograms on the computer. if you run across one these they are very fast.

jtkz13 said:
Good gearing and high rpm power makes up for a lack of low end torque, look at my Acura. It has ~85lb ft less tq at the wheels than my Mustang, it weighs 200lbs more, and it traps the same.

uh, you forget, the little thing called gearig, your acura has much lower gearing, and if a stock auto gt had that gearing it would be a LOT faster.

I think you are going to see tail lights man. The M3 is lighter and has a much much much better OEM suspension than our cars.

Overall power isn't that big of a deal - its the power to weight ratio. If he's lightly modded, he will have a much better power to weight ratio than you. His car weights somewhere around 2800lbs...yours weighs over 3400lbs. 600lbs is a pretty big difference and having 30hp or so more isn't going to make up for that weight difference.

If you have an OEM worn out suspension, your torque will not be that big of an advantage b/c you will have a harder time getting the power to the ground.

And if you are using all-season tires, I doubt you'll get him at the line.

Now don't get discouraged, having a M3 spankin' 'Stang is a few paychecks away - you just have to spend your money wisely. Get good tires, re-pack your track-lok, and re-do the front and rear suspension (torque arm/phb). Put the car on a diet and you'll own him from a dig. You'll have a better power to weight ratio and you'll have killer traction. On the highway, that's another couple paychecks (H/C/I).

Have fun and be safe!

you'll never beat one on the freeway unless you put some serious money into your car. no matter how fast you go the M3 will just keep going. My boyfriend raced his friends 96 M3 they have equal horsepower and my BFs car weighs almost half of the BMW...still murdered him on the highway and he barely won from a stop