96 GT...Auto to Manual Swap

Lysol13

Dec 8, 2005
Hey guys!

I've been driving my AUTO 96 GT for 2 years now. I am real sick of not being able to shift! I have heard alot of people say it is not worth it...I dont see why not if manual is so much more pleasureable. Exactly what would I need for this manual swap? Just a t-5 tranny and some new pedals? If someone could just list all of the parts I need that would be great.

Thanks alot!

• Sponsors (?)

Lysol13 said:
Hey guys!

I've been driving my AUTO 96 GT for 2 years now. I am real sick of not being able to shift! I have heard alot of people say it is not worth it...I dont see why not if manual is so much more pleasureable. Exactly what would I need for this manual swap? Just a t-5 tranny and some new pedals? If someone could just list all of the parts I need that would be great.

Thanks alot!

I don't know exactly the parts list but the 96-01? GT's came with a T-45 tranny not a T-5. I don't know if the T-5 would mate perfectly.

Of course you will need a new bellhousing and bolts
with your T-45 transmission.I am not sure the other parts
you will need.You should have no issues doing the T-45
conversion you will just need all the parts.I belive you will
need new transmission mounts too.

Lysol13 said:
Hey guys!

Thanks alot!

It's way too much BS and hassle IMO. If you REALLY want a 5spd, sell your car. Period.

I kind of agree with the98Stang. If you used mostly new parts it would probably cost you $2k. 96 mustangs are so cheap these days it's not worth it. It's a real PITA. Among other things you have to drop the steering column to swap the pedals. I will never do that again. However, if you are are dead set on doing it you will need:

T45
Pedal assembly
trans crossmember
clutch quadrant and cable
clutch
flywheel
index plate
wiring harness for reverse lights
some junk for the speedo cable

clutch kit
flywheel
block plate
bellhousing
shifter boot/bezel
shifter
transmission (+ fluid)
transmission harness
pedal assembly
clutch cable
new speedo gear (hadnt done that yet )
all the associated bolts...

supposedly most people say the crossmember from aode is fine but mine had to be modifed
also some people need to change to a T5 yoke on driveshaft but I didnt have to
thats about it, i dont think im missing anything really
I have a spare flywheel if you need for a 5.0, it needs resurfacing though

Just a list my bud had to get. Might price it out and see if it is worth it for you.

i had wanted to do the same but decided to stay with the auto. What you need to do to increase your "fun factor" is shift kit that ******. Quick hard shifts will put a grin on your face. Mate it with a converter that matches your needs and you will be set.

It cost me about $5K for the auto to 6-speed swap, including ALL parts and labor. Of course, the t56 is more expensive. But at least you can get the idea on how much you might have to spend. The reasons I've gone with this is because A.) my auto was busted and B.) I've already modded my car quite a bit. If you have a bone stock or a bolt on auto, I'd just trade it for a 5-speed.