97 Cobra Questions

tjmaxx

Jun 21, 2004
my friend is looking into buying a 97 Cobra. He currently has a 86 fox body hatch with a built 306. It is putting down around 330hp to the wheels I believe plus a 150 shot of wet nitrous, but it is also stripped and only weighs around 2800 pounds. The problem is his Fox is just too much trouble for him to keep on fixing while in college. So he is thinking this will be more reliable and a better driver. This Cobra is Black with black leather interior. Only mods we know of are short shifter, exhaust, and cold air intake. It has 80,000 miles on it. It is at a dealer and I believe my friend is able to get it at cost because he knows someone that works there and I think cost is like $8,000:shrug: I thought this was a decent price if everthing checks out because I havent seen it yet.

Now onto the fun stuff:D He wants to get this thing running pretty fast. I told him right now with the minimal mods he is probably around 275hp to the rear wheels, am I correct:shrug: Also how much hp can the engine hold? is the bottem end going to blow fairly easily? He is thinking about supercharging it, if the engine was taken care of how well would this work out. If he put a Kenne Bell on it how much power could he expect.

• Sponsors (?)

The block is good for 1000+ hp, the rods and pistons however are a different story. It has a forged crank but the rods and pistons are weak. Safely on a stock block i wouldnt go any more than 400-420 rwhp before the insides go boom. Some other people have more than that with no problems, but others have had less power and went boom. Its all in your tune.