97 Cobra wheel question

lethalbite

Nov 29, 2003
Orlando,FL
Hey anyone have pics of their 97 Cobra or GT with 10.5" wheels on the back? I'm thinking about getting some chrome Cobra R's on the back. I'm just wondering how much if any they will stick out of the wheelwell. Would I have to do any modifications to the inner wheel well to get those to fit? Any suggestions would be appreciated. L8R...
Matt

• Sponsors (?)

stangnet2.jpg

17x8" and 17x10.5". ALL under the fenders. 315/35s on the rear.

I have an extra set of these in 9" and 10.5" Silver. Cheap! Check my classified ad.

hey guys thanks for the help, TYGR1, those wheels look sweet on the back of your Cobra, do I need to know the backspacing when I order 10.5" rims? If so, what's the difference? What is the backspacing on your rims TYGR1? lata,

Matt

I have some 17X11 inch wheels on the rear of my 97. The tire size right now is 285/40/ZR17, and I am looking to go larger next time. I did however put a Maximum Motorsports panard rod kit on to keep the axle in line around corners to keep the tires from rubbing on the fender. It does help with cornering, but you will have some noise from the rod due to it moving freely to avoid binding. The tires don't even come close to sticking out of the fenders, which is a good thing. I live in PA where they will pull me over in a heartbeat if they did stick out. Oh yeah, I also forgot, I added new upper and lower control. I did this because I was getting rid of the quadra shocks to make room for the wider tires. I haven't had any problems with wheel hop after doing that either.

Hi again,

frontcorner.jpg

The rear offset is +27mm. AFS makes these to precisely fit to the Stangs fender lip.

BTW all, I have a pair of these wheels in the garage...for sale...cheap! As well as a similar pair of 9s. Just FYI.