97 Gt Fuel Pump Issues

Inked12679

Jun 11, 2017
I have a 97 gt just had my headers and h pipe installed 3 days later it just died. After having it towed found fuel pump fuse blown. Replaced it and pop. Replaced ccrm pop. Replaced downline o2 sensors and with pump un hooked pop. Need to know where to go from here

• Sponsors (?)

I'm aware that some model years of Mustangs have an error in the owner's manual. The fuse listed as fuel pump is actually the PCM. The fuse listed as PCM is actually the fuel pump.

The other thing that I know about the 96-98 Mustang is that all (4) O2 sensor heaters are powered from the PCM. The thing about that is a fault in any one of the O2 heater circuits will blow the PCM fuse.

Given the fact that recent exhaust work was done, my $$ is on a wiring harness fault from touching hot exhaust somewhere in the system.

One quick test is the measure the resistance between the VPWR line at an O2 sensor and battery negative with the battery positive disconnected. Should be a very high value. If the Ohm reading is low, this puts you miles ahead in the trouble shooting.

Knowing now that the problem could be in any of the (4) O2 lines, suggesting a recheck with the "Mark I eyeball" as well.

I'm aware that some model years of Mustangs have an error in the owner's manual. The fuse listed as fuel pump is actually the PCM. The fuse listed as PCM is actually the fuel pump.

The other thing that I know about the 96-98 Mustang is that all (4) O2 sensor heaters are powered from the PCM. The thing about that is a fault in any one of the O2 heater circuits will blow the PCM fuse.

Given the fact that recent exhaust work was done, my $$ is on a wiring harness fault from touching hot exhaust somewhere in the system.

One quick test is the measure the resistance between the VPWR line at an O2 sensor and battery negative with the battery positive disconnected. Should be a very high value. If the Ohm reading is low, this puts you miles ahead in the trouble shooting.

Knowing now that the problem could be in any of the (4) O2 lines, suggesting a recheck with the "Mark I eyeball" as well.
I replaced the down line I looked in the Haynes manual I don't have the factory manual. What is Mark I eyeball?

What is Mark I eyeball?
Visual inspection
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_inspection

If this were my car likely I would disconnect every sensor on the Red VPWR line and see if the fuse blows. If not, then plug the sensors back in one at a time until it does.

If the fuse still blows, then it just got real. As in real harder. Likely the next step is to pull the PCM and retest.

So how did you find it? How did an engine ground cause a fuse to blow?

There are others reading these thread that may have the same (or similar) problem that might benefit from your experience.

My wife actually noticed the wire not connected. As to how it blew the fuse I have no clue. But it's the wire back behind the egr by the fuel rail. I guess it wore out and popped off. I had to squeeze it closed a bit and it roared to life!

Soooooooooo. The "Mark I eyeball" actually was the tool that saved the day. But your Wife's version is better than yours.

The "Mark I eyeball" was vital during the Battle of Briton. It was an important simple tool used to spot inbound aircraft to make reports to central command.

Soooooooooo. The "Mark I eyeball" actually was the tool that saved the day. But your Wife's version is better than yours.

The "Mark I eyeball" was vital during the Battle of Briton. It was an important simple tool used to spot inbound aircraft to make reports to central command.
Lmao yes her mark I eyeball is way better than mine